Menu

IEW users, please help me!!

Runnermom

I just received my order from IEW yesterday (I ordered Teaching Writing: Structure and Style as well as SWI A) and I am so overwhelmed! I started watching the first DVD today and while I am excited, I am wondering if I jumped the gun on ordering SWI level A because it seems to me that I can just use the 'Teaching Writing'. I am brand new to this and I probably didn't do enough research before ordering this! Thoughts??? Where do you start?

I'm sure the SWI is well done, but personally I don't think there is a need for it.

We're just now starting to use it, so I'm no expert, but after watching the DVD's and looking at the curriculum, I think it can be done with no problem with the history and literature we're using.

SO - SWI isn't bad, just maybe unnecessary?

Skip to the DVD at the back, where Andrew presents level A lessons. Decide if you want him to teach your kids directly, or if you'd rather teach the material yourself. I've heard IEW has an excellent return policy, so if you decide to just use TWSS, they will refund you for SWI A. (I used TWSS along with their theme-based lessons, and it was a good fit for us.)

It is my understanding that you don't "need" the TWSS if you are doing SWI, and that you can just use the TWSS and chose the writing assignments yourself. Are you a member of IEW's yahoo group? There is a group of people getting reading to start going through the TWSS together online if you want to go that route. There are also a bunch of helpful files on the yahoo group.

We are just getting started with IEW as well. :D

There is a Yahoo support group that has given a lot of help- especially Jill who works with IEW. She answers all of the questions, adds supporting documents to the 'files' and more.

I would suggest joining the group and reading all of the posts there. There is a wealth of information available.

I felt the same way... UNTIL I got to unit 3. I decided that I needed Pudewa to teach that. Also, I like that someone else is teaching my son some of these concepts in a more engaging way.

But yes, I'd be completely comfortable teaching via TWSS alone for much of the program.

My suggestion would be to watch a couple TWSS discs, then watch an SWI disc, look through the materials, then decide if you need SWI.

I'm definitely glad I got both instead of just getting SWI. I plan to use TWSS alone once we finish SWI. I had a little trouble finding the right length passages in our history and science books. I think it will be easier to use our own passages once we get beyond units 1 and 2.

Anyone?? Let me clarify.... Do I need SWI level A or is Teaching Writing: Structure and Style sufficient enough?? I really am clueless here! Thanks!!!

You don't NEED SWI. For years TWSS was all there was. Just watch all of TWSS and take notes on it. It's a front end load program. If you skimp on watching TWSS you will be confused by the program at some point.

THEN decide if you want to use SWI. I like the theme based books better myself. But that's because I love teaching writing and I'd rather be more invovled in what the kids are doing. If you want to do something besides SWI- just return it- they honor thier return policy and are some of the nicest biz poeple in the world to work with.

There are tons of IEW threads on here- or pm me if you have more ?'s. I used and taught IEW on and off for a decade.

You do not HAVE to use SWI A, but it's so nice to use it the first year as you are learning more about the program. I wrote about our first year experience with IEW here http://intoxicatedonlife.com/2012/07/11/teaching-writing-structure-style-curriculum-review/

With that said, IEW has an awesome return policy, so you can return SWI A if you don't think you want to use it. Good luck, we had great success last year with it!