Menu

Using Heller's grammar picture books as a stand-alone curriculum?

We have two of her books - Kites Sail High and A Cache of Jewels. The illustrations are lovely and we have enjoyed them. I never thought about using them as a stand alone grammar curr. but more of a supplement to what they are learning.

eta - I haven't seen the Chickens book - I just placed a hold on it at our library. Thanks for the heads up!

Has anyone done this? They look WONDERFUL!!! I'm wondering if there is enough meat in them for them to stand alone as a grammar curriculum for the early elementary years?

For early elementary (K-2), I think the Heller books with Lively Language Lessons would be sufficient for a gentle introduction to grammar. In third grade, I would personally want to see a more rigorous grammar program but prior to 3rd, I think this is a lovely way to approach the subject.

ETA: Be sure to look at the Brian Cleary books about parts of speech as well. The Heller books were a hit with all of my kids, especially my very artistic DD, but my boys favor the humor in Cleary's books. :)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

We did. In fact, I am working on a guide to use with them.

Basically, what we did is made colorful notebooking pages for each topic in each book which gave my dds a nice guide to grammar. You can do them all in 1 semester or take an entire year to go over all the concepts. I did add in at the end information on punctuation.

It is a really fun way to teach the parts of speech. The following year my dd did a lot of grammar work and had all the basics down from our time with the Ruth Heller books.:001_smile: