Menu

Research type curriculum - Trisms?? Anything else??

My daughter, 7th grade, loves to research. I'm thinking I should incorporate that into our curriculum but I'm not sure what's out there besides Trisms. I've looked at Trisms and it may work, but it's very expensive. I'd love to know if anyone has some other ideas for me on what to use. We are mostly CM and we were going to use HUFI Year 6 this fall.

Thanks,

I love this series. The student is given a choice of topics and have specific requirements they have to meet and they are given peremeters to work within, but there is a lot of choice within those options. My B&N carries this series, if you have one close maybe you could go check one out. I just know I am not doing this resource justice.

We love Trisms - and you can get it used for a reasonable price if you are on the look out for it. I've never bought any of them new, and they've all worked wonderfully.

Kristy,

Do you ever get tired of the format? Isn't it the same fill in sheets each time? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Kristy,

Do you ever get tired of the format? Isn't it the same fill in sheets each time? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

No - not at all. There is enough variety in the information we research, the lit assignments, the science and rhetoric.

It isn't all worksheets :)

This is just for history, but Mystery of History is all research for the older student. There is also a lot of Bible research in it as well or research on a subject of the Bible. It helped my son look at the Bible with more interest after completing volume 1.

Really? I hadn't realized there was any research in MOH. Can you give me some examples and would 7th be too early for the research parts? Is that just for high school? Am I right in thinking you've used it for high school?

I've considered it before but I usually choose secular items though I'm not opposed to some religion. I wasn't sure if this would be "too much" for us. Is it easy to skip over any parts?

Thank you,

Really? I hadn't realized there was any research in MOH. Can you give me some examples and would 7th be too early for the research parts? Is that just for high school? Am I right in thinking you've used it for high school?

I've considered it before but I usually choose secular items though I'm not opposed to some religion. I wasn't sure if this would be "too much" for us. Is it easy to skip over any parts?

Thank you,

A lot is based on events and people from the Bible, they make up a good portion of Vol. 1.This is not so much religion but taking events documented in the Bible or historical figures from the Bible and learning about them, what happened in reference to them or what happened around the time they lived. However the actual research might go a different route

Some examples from Vol. 2:

Lesson 4 is about Nero but the research is not.

Middle or Older students, research the Colosseum of Rome, it's size, meaning of it's name, and how used.

or

research the catacombs of Rome, investigate some of the art work found inside the catacombs, symbols from Christians, along with other catacombs from the given web site.

Lesson 6 is about Josephus

Here the Middle Student is to use a Bible Encyclopedia and look up the 3 secs of Judaism. Or they are to research a woman named Boudicca.

Older students are to look at the original works of Josephus and compare his testemony of Creation to the Biblical one. Or they can research the Temple of Jerusalem, the history beginning with Solomon and give account of who held it and when, include sketches, What is found at the temple site now?

Lesson 11 is on the Apostles Creed

Middle and older students should memorize it and do a research on a woman, Queen Zenobia.

As you can see, lots of research. Each lesson will tell you where to file it in the notebook they created...a section for each continent and one for miscellaneous things.