Menu

6 year old finished DragonBox

Sigh. 71 views and no suggestions? This child loves mathematics, just not arithmetic. The concepts come easily to her but the "facts" not so much. I was hoping this would be the place to find suggestions of other things (doesn't need to be apps, could be curricula, games, books) etc that she might enjoy.

We have Penrose and one of the Sir Cumference books, both have gone down very well. I need to order the other SC books. I didn't realise HoE had an app, she would LOVE that. Thanks.

I need to look at challenge math. She does love the story of 1 already :)

My son loves mathematical reasoning and is not a big fan of arithmetic. Some of his favorite mathy books are I Hate Mathematics, Math for Smarty Pants, and Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat. I have heard that Zaccaro's Challenge Math also allows students to explore higher levels of mathematical reasoning before learning all their arithmetic skills, but we haven't ever used that resource. HTH!

Take a look at Aha!Math via learning.com. To access a homeschool teacher account, your district should be entered as e-[your state]. The full version of Starfall.com offers math activities. Consider the math printables at Sparklebox.com. Jumpstart and Mathblaster (online subscription services) are both popular with my kids. Teachers pay Teachers offers a variety of materials, printables and powerpoints.

abcteach.com offers resources for all age ranges, some free some subscription based. Also, check out the exercises and games from the various textbook companies. Glencoe, Prentice Hall and McGraw all have textbook companion sites that offer math resources. you can also do a general search for free math printables and come up with a wide variety of activities. Finally, there are a couple of Singapore Maths websites that offer support materials and videos.

I have that dd, almost. I would suggest Hands-on Equations, Beast Academy, Big Seed app, KickBox app. For place value, try Miquon and the Math Mammoth Place Value books. That helped mine.

Yes, from other things you have written I wonder if we have the same DD continents apart lol.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.