Menu

Health insurance options

My dh's new employee health insurance plan is worthless. We think it may make more sense to purchase health insurance on our own (the kids have coverage through AllKids, our state's public health insurance program for kids.) I have been researching all morning and I still don't really know where to begin. Should I call providers individually and ask for a quote? Does anyone have any recommendations for providers? In the past, I have been treated for anxiety and rosacea- will that make my premium higher? I have never had non-employer health insurance and I'm kind of overwhelmed right now.

I will happily accept any advice you have to give on this subject!

Sometimes professional organizations have a broker they will recommend.

We called around for quotes; I think DH got the # from a professional organization he belongs to.

His employer's coverage is good but adding our family on was going to be 11k per year. We have a higher ded. (6500 per family per year) plan that covers well child visits and a few other routine things. His employer kicks back what they would have paid to insure DH into an HRA for us (I think it goes to the HRA?). (ETA: Correction, it goes into our check as income and then we put it into HSA (we use it for deductibles, etc.). We also have an HRA through DH's employer to cover some of our medical expenses)

I have PCOS and that is excluded, but our family is complete and the medication I take is only 4 bucks a month without insurance. They do typically jack up the premium or deny coverage on certain diagnoses, but I think some of that will change under the new laws. (eta: and yes, pregnancy is not covered on our plan, but as far as we know at this time, our family is complete. We could opt back in to Dh's work plan if we wanted to down the road as rates have dropped a bit in the last year, but so far a higher ded. plan has been working out for us).

Edited by Momof3littles

My dh insurance through work is ridiculous. I looked online for quotes. We went with HumanOne. Our kids also have state insurance :) So my dh & i just went with the major medical $5000 deductable. And got a health savings plain to put in the money we save each month by not having "full coverage". let me know if you have an more specific questions about these types of plains?

Thank you all for the input. I would have never guessed that c-sections were pre-existing conditions! I had pregnancy-related health issues (Pre-Ec, HELLP, emergency c-sections) with both kids, but our family is now complete so I wasn't going to seek maternity coverage. Hopefully my past pregnancy issues won't count against me if I'm not looking for maternity coverage.

Thank you all for the input. I would have never guessed that c-sections were pre-existing conditions! I had pregnancy-related health issues (Pre-Ec, HELLP, emergency c-sections) with both kids, but our family is now complete so I wasn't going to seek maternity coverage. Hopefully my past pregnancy issues won't count against me if I'm not looking for maternity coverage.

you should be ok then if you don't need maternity coverage. Just be VERY sure you don't need it :)