Menu

Question for Kentucky homeschoolers........

Hi everyone :-)

I know to meet our state's graduation requirements that a student has to have 3 science credits which are to incorporate biological

science, physical science, earth and space science and unifying concepts. My rising senior has taken thus far:

9th - Apologia's Physical Science course along with a study of mineral identification which I am counting as an Earth & Space credit (I contacted Apologia and they suggested that I add a mineral identification study to count it toward an Earth and Space credit)

10th - Biology

11th - Biology II

Has what she's taken so far meet those requirements? I'm just nervous I guess. This is her last year and I'm definitely wanting to make sure.

Thank you for any advice, my brain needs rest from this.

Hi,

Students in Kentucky who are looking to take the minimum most often have this on their high school transcript:

9th Earth and Space

10th Bio

11th Chem

So, what your daughter has on her transcript right now is lighter than what would be the typical minimum sequence for a public schooled student.

As a practical matter, it is really on you as a homeschooling parent to interpret the law and decide when to graduate your student. If the student is college bound though you probably do want to think about making sure her transcript is strong enough. Here's what the University of Kentucky lists as the expected minimum pre-college curriculum: Biology I, Chemistry I, Physics I or life science, physical science, and earth/space science (at least one lab course) http://www.uky.edu/Admission/pre-college-curriculum

Hope that helps!

Well......I have to admit I agree. Just wanted someone else's advice. Looks like she needs to take a chemistry course this year to beef it up some. Would you suggest Chemistry or an Introduction to Chemistry and Physics? She's leaning toward the way of being a Graphic Artist. Thanks for taking the time to respond!! I really appreciate it :-)

Edited by Momof3Maidens

Are you using those "requirements" as guidelines for your dd? Because you know that there are no requirements for homeschoolers to graduate, right?

Ellie.....uh..hmmm......well no I didn't know that (showing my ignorance here). I've been under the assumption for 12 years that we as home schoolers had to still abide by our state's laws regarding graduation as far as credits earned and amount. So, I can choose whatever credits my student desires and however many credits needed to graduate (of course keeping in mind colleges and their wishes for admission)? Is it because the state of Kentucky considers us a private school?

Edited by Momof3Maidens

You could prob. check with a few colleges. I'm thinking that the chemistry is the most needed.

Alison

Thanks Alison, I have went and done that. Most are saying a life science, physical science and earth & space. I think I will have her take Chemistry.

She's already got Algebra II under her belt so the math shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

Are you using those "requirements" as guidelines for your dd? Because you know that there are no requirements for homeschoolers to graduate, right?

There is a practical reality that unless the child is pursuing higher education, it is unlikely that anyone would ever know whether they filled requirements or not. Every state is different but in Kentucky, homeschool records are records are rarely looked at and there is not any kind of portfolio review. That said, homeschools are considered private schools in the state of Kentucky and they are subject to the laws certain laws which include the requirement to follow the core curriculum standards. http://www.kde.state.ky.us/KDE/About+Schools+and+Districts/Home+Schooling+in+Kentucky/Kentucky+Home+School+Requirements.htm

Except in the case of really unusual circumstances, I think it makes sense to follow the general requirements so the child has options for higher education open to them later if they choose it. Of course there is a huge amount of flexibility about how you go about accomplishing this and it will vary with the student's individual situation what will make most sense.

Well......I have to admit I agree. Just wanted someone else's advice. Looks like she needs to take a chemistry course this year to beef it up some. Would you suggest Chemistry or an Introduction to Chemistry and Physics? She's leaning toward the way of being a Graphic Artist. Thanks for taking the time to respond!! I really appreciate it :-)

Yes, I think chemistry is a good, solid, choice. It will keep her options open for college.

Yes, I think chemistry is a good, solid, choice. It will keep her options open for college.

Thanks Barbara! Yes, Kentucky is relaxed in their laws regarding homeschooling. It's a wonderful thing for us as parents considering other states. I've never had the mentality to slack regarding that though so have definitely used wisdom in choosing her courses and credits to prepare her for college. It's the only credit that she lacks in fulfilling a pre-college curriculum so it's a go.

Thanks again to everyone who responded :-)

As others have said, there are not really any requirements - you set your requirements to graduate from you school.

There are definite requirements to get into college.

If you look at the best practice document for KY homeschoolers, science is not even required to teach, though I always strongly recommend it. :001_smile:

Ellie.....uh..hmmm......well no I didn't know that (showing my ignorance here). I've been under the assumption for 12 years that we as home schoolers had to still abide by our state's laws regarding graduation as far as credits earned and amount. So, I can choose whatever credits my student desires and however many credits needed to graduate (of course keeping in mind colleges and their wishes for admission)? Is it because the state of Kentucky considers us a private school?

KY has no homeschool statute; homeschoolers are considered private schools, and apparently KY, like most other states, doesn't regulate private schools as far as graduation requirements and whatnot. Which is good for you, because yes, you get to decide when and how your dc will be graduated. And yes, you should consider college requirements, not necessarily public school requirements. Aren't you glad you know now?

:party:

KY has no homeschool statute; homeschoolers are considered private schools, and apparently KY, like most other states, doesn't regulate private schools as far as graduation requirements and whatnot. Which is good for you, because yes, you get to decide when and how your dc will be graduated. And yes, you should consider college requirements, not necessarily public school requirements. Aren't you glad you know now?

:party:

Yes, that was a probably some good information to come by after 12 years :lol: