Menu

10 year old regressing to being clingy

anyone experience their 10 year old son regress to being clingy? My two sons have really become quite clingy and mama boys. I am wondering if it is from homeschooling them for two years now. Not saying it is always a bad idea but when they cry about going to a great camp for three nights that is only 10 miles away, with all their friends, because they don't want to be away from me that long makes me wonder. Are they too attached?

Storms have started scaring them. I think the reality of storms and things out of control are clearer to them now and they are so scared some times. They were NEVER like this younger. Their sisters that just turned 7 stare at them like they are strangers lately because of the crying and attached tantrums they are having.

We go out in public, they are in gymnastics, they visit with family and at church. It is in situations that aren't normal that they seem to "freak"

Anyone experience this?

eta: I think the 9 year old boy freaks because his older brother is freaking out...

10 and 11 were very emotional years for my son. Now at 12 he is coming out of it. Just love your boy and help him feel secure. There is nothing wrong with strong feelings.

perhaps the strong emotions are the beginning of puberty? :confused: one son requires deodorant already :001_huh: NOT ready for this stage!

10 and 11 were very emotional years for my son. Now at 12 he is coming out of it. Just love your boy and help him feel secure. There is nothing wrong with strong feelings.

YES!!!!! This!!! I do remember 11 being a hard year, or was that 10? This with my EASY son! He was more emotional for sure.

perhaps the strong emotions are the beginning of puberty? :confused: one son requires deodorant already :001_huh: NOT ready for this stage!

it definitely is related to hormones. Definitely.

When you said you wondered if your boys were TOO attached to you, I nearly cried. Soak it up and enjoy it. It doesn't last forever. :crying:

I would encourage them and be strong for them. Don't let your mommy heart get too soft for them. You want them to grow onto strong men one day! Encourage the camp, tell them you've already signed them up and it will be fine. Do a weather study and show them how cool weather, even stroms, are.:001_smile:

I think it is a realization bad things can happen. My dd insisted on coming home early from grandparents this week because she got scared. She has stayed there many times before, but this year has been hard for her. She is 12. I clearly remember the ages of 12 and 13 being very difficult to leave home, and iwas in public school, so I do not think homeschooling is the culprit. Enjoy it, because I clearly remember wanting to be anywhere but home from 15 on.

YES!!!!! This!!! I do remember 11 being a hard year, or was that 10? This with my EASY son! He was more emotional for sure.

it definitely is related to hormones. Definitely.

When you said you wondered if your boys were TOO attached to you, I nearly cried. Soak it up and enjoy it. It doesn't last forever. :crying:

I would encourage them and be strong for them. Don't let your mommy heart get too soft for them. You want them to grow onto strong men one day! Encourage the camp, tell them you've already signed them up and it will be fine. Do a weather study and show them how cool weather, even stroms, are.:001_smile:

Yeah, I try to remind myself that with DS8 attached to my hip :D

I'm a pretty emotional person, not outwardly, but I have strong feelings. DH is my PERFECT match because he always knows when and makes me feel better.

My 10 year old is clingy, but that's nothing new for him. He doesn't cling on me when he gets scared or anything like that, but he loves to hug me and sit close to me. I can barely get my 7 year old to hug me on the other hand. Different personalities I guess!

This is very much like my house! The 9 year old freely gives me hugs and kisses all day long, sometimes when I'm trying to do other things and it's not really convenient. I have to bribe the 8 year old to get a one nanosecond hug, and he'll deign to give me a kiss about once a week.

part can be developmental. are they stressed over anything new? are they getting enough sleep?

I have a son who would take forever to go to sleep, he wakes on his own but is totally cranky and fussy the next day. with melatonin he sleeps more and is more functional and less fussy because he's not over tired. (he actually asked for it the very next night after using it only once. If I forgot, he asked for it. HE noticed it was helping him.)