Menu

Cooking different cuts of beef ("how to" Qs!)

Even having been married many years now, I have still mostly cooked with ground beef, with a roast here and there. So, here we are, about to pick up our first batch of grass-fed beef, not a side or anything, but about 50# still! Will those of you with more varied cooking skills give me your tips for using the following cuts:

Beef Variety Package -

15# of steaks:

~ 3-4 rib-eyes

~ 3-4 T-bones

~ 2 sirloins

~ 2 round

~ 2 cubed

15# of roasts:

~ 1 rump or eye of round

~ 1 arm

~ 1 chuck (This is what I usually use for French dip sandwiches or Sunday roast)

~ 2 stew meat

20# of ground beef (1-lb packs, choose 80% or 90% lean or combination) -- I know what to do with this one, lol!

Cube steak is quick to make- it's usually called country fried steak when it's cooked the way WE like it. Pioneer Woman recently posted a recipe for steak fingers- it's a good way to cook cube steak and kids love it cut into strips they can dip into gravy. And husbands like it that way, too.g

Well...it depends on if you like medium rare roast beef or not. We get sides of beef. I am NOT a fan of typical roast beef. I have tried MANY, MANY roasts over the years. My DH likes a roast (arm is his favorite) slow cooked and with potatoes, carrots, etc. I like the vegetables...don't like how the roast turns out. DS and I like medium rare beef...but alas...the roast always cooks more than that. So with my last round roast from this side we have now, I was determined to finally get it right...and I did. I sliced a vidalia onion and layered it in several big pieces on the bottom of a metal pan. I put some seasonings on the outside of the roast (salt types I use for grilling.) I put the roast on top of the onion. Cooked at 475 for 30 minutes. Turned down to 350. When my meat thermometer started reading 135 I pulled it out and started testing it, knowing it would cook a bit after taking it out. I made sure most of it was 140 or above (but not much). Perfect. DS and I loved it.

Here is what I do:

*Grill the ribeyes and tbones

*slice the sirloin into pieces and use for stirfry, chunk it for steak tips- fry and serve with gravy

*round steak- I slow cook

*cubed- country fried steak, steak fingers

*rump- roast with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, or roast it,make gravy and serve with mashed potatoes- makes a drier roast

*stew meat-brown, then slowcook with vegetables to make a stew or veggie soup

Enjoy!

Even having been married many years now, I have still mostly cooked with ground beef, with a roast here and there. So, here we are, about to pick up our first batch of grass-fed beef, not a side or anything, but about 50# still! Will those of you with more varied cooking skills give me your tips for using the following cuts:

Beef Variety Package -

15# of steaks:

~ 3-4 rib-eyes

~ 3-4 T-bones

~ 2 sirloins

~ 2 round

~ 2 cubed

15# of roasts:

~ 1 rump or eye of round

~ 1 arm

~ 1 chuck (This is what I usually use for French dip sandwiches or Sunday roast)

~ 2 stew meat

20# of ground beef (1-lb packs, choose 80% or 90% lean or combination) -- I know what to do with this one, lol!

So, is this from Paidom? Sounds like thier variety pack.

I am getting my order this Sunday.

So, is this from Paidom? Sounds like thier variety pack.

I am getting my order this Sunday.

Yep! First time for us! :D:hurray:

I'm excited and feeling challenged at the same time, but you guys are a big help! I'm taking notes and hoping I can create some great new meals with this! Thanks for your responses so far!

Cube steak is quick to make- it's usually called country fried steak when it's cooked the way WE like it. Pioneer Woman recently posted a recipe for steak fingers- it's a good way to cook cube steak and kids love it cut into strips they can dip into gravy. And husbands like it that way, too.g

Thanks! I'll be using that recipe! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/07/steak-fingers-with-gravy/#