Menu

Sharing Forensics Resource

If you're looking for something a bit more rigorous, you might want to try Saferstein's Criminalistics. As is usually the case with textbooks, the current edition is pretty expensive, but used copies of the preceding edition are just fine and are available for a few bucks.

:iagree:I just got my copy of the 9th edition today ($6), and it looks very promising. DS will use that in addition to the web resource.

:iagree:I just got my copy of the 9th edition today ($6), and it looks very promising. DS will use that in addition to the web resource.

I have been looking at Saferstien. Six bucks???!!! Where????

Also, are there web resources specifically for the text or just general?

I have been looking at Saferstien. Six bucks???!!! Where????

On amazon.

Here is the 9th edition, used for $8.44 and up (I bought the six bucks one, so it is no longer there):

http://www.amazon.com/Criminalistics-Introduction-Forensic-Science-College/dp/0132216558/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342836210&sr=8-1&keywords=saferstein+criminalistics+9th

But you can get the 6th edition NEW for $8.50 and used for $0.01:

http://www.amazon.com/Criminalistics-An-Introduction-Forensic-Science/dp/0135929407/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1342836210&sr=8-1

We opted to go with the 9th because there has been some progress between 1997 and 2006.

Also, are there web resources specifically for the text or just general?

Here is the companion website:

http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_saferstein_forensic_1/

We opted to go with the 9th because there has been some progress between 1997 and 2006.

True, but if the only affordable options were something earlier than the 9th edition, I wouldn't hesitate. I have several editions from the current back through the 4th or 5th, and I think any of them would be fine for an intro high-school forensic science course. None of the changes significantly affect the fundamentals.

I was just looking at the Saferstein book on Amazon. There is a lab manual too. No description. Did you get that too?

Is it needed? Can the experiments be done at home?

I'm wondering this too. I would imagine forensics experiments are too difficult to do at home. That's why I was looking for something with good web resources that might SHOW experiments or crime scene stuff.

The website for Saferstein does have some links to other websites with videos.