Menu

Dental implant (I think, bridge input welcome too) ??

My partner had a failed root canal on a front bottom tooth and needs to have the tooth extracted (other options have already been ruled out). If you have any experience with dental implants, I'd love any BTDT info. (I'm googling like crazy, too.)

or if you've been advised against implants and went the bridge route, I'd be glad to hear about that, too.

Thank you!

I decided to go the implant route because of an injury which damaged my tooth and caused the root to die. I was losing bone and I was warned the bone loss could spread and put the surrounding teeth at risk. This tooth wasn't a front tooth but it was in my smile line. I got at least three opinions before deciding.

The first step was extraction and bone graft. Insurance covered the anesthesia and extraction. I had to pay for the bone graft. I took two percocet after this procedure. I don't know if I really needed it at all and I think I could have gotten away with ibuprofen. I kept my head elevated and iced as instructed. I had just a little swelling. It took about two weeks to feel normal, but I think getting over the anesthesia was a big part of it.

Six months later, the implant rod was placed under general anesthesia. I never needed any pain killers but I used a lot of ice. I was back to normal in about a week or two. I had the tiniest amount of swelling.

Six months after that the site was opened and an abutment was put on the implant. This wasn't the most comfortable thing to do for wimps like me, but it was painless and there was very little recovery. Two weeks after that I was "fitted" for the implant crown and got it put on a few weeks later.

I am so happy with my implant and very glad I got it done. It cost a ton of money and I'm still paying of the crown for it. Long-term, I think this was the best choice, despite the cost.

Hope this helps.:)

I'm still in the implant process. I had one procedure to extract the tooth and do a bone graft. That had to heal for 4 months. Then I had the second procedure last month that drilled a hole in the bone for the implant. Now I have to wait another 3 to 4 months and my dentist will put in the post and artificial tooth.

I chose not to have the bridge because it involved altering the teeth on either side. I didn't want to hurt 2 more teeth. They are in good condition and I wanted them to stay that way.

I've been doing well with the process. I was sore for a few days after each procedure but it wasn't awful. And that's coming from a person who absolutely hates dental work. But my oral surgeon is fantastic. :)

I'm having an implant. So far they've removed the tooth. I'm having the post put in soon and 8-12 weeks after that they can put the crown on. I'll wait longer though as I need to juggle the money around a bit to make it happen. I was told they could do a temporary crown at the same time that they put the post in if I wanted that.

Thank you. Were they able to place a temporary "tooth" of some sort during the months of treatment? This missing tooth would be very obvious.

Yes, I got something called a flipper. It was like a retainer and in addition to being a fake tooth, it kept the rest of the teeth from moving while you're waiting for the implant. I think I was fitted for the flipper before the extraction. Then I was able to use it about two weeks after it.

Edited by NJKelli

I'm having an implant. So far they've removed the tooth. I'm having the post put in soon and 8-12 weeks after that they can put the crown on. I'll wait longer though as I need to juggle the money around a bit to make it happen. I was told they could do a temporary crown at the same time that they put the post in if I wanted that.

I would very definitely choose the slow route, beside the financial considerations. Bone healing can really take six months and there's a chance for failure if you move to quickly. I have heard of cases of implant failure when they try to place the rod too soon.

Thank you. Were they able to place a temporary "tooth" of some sort during the months of treatment? This missing tooth would be very obvious.

They didn't do that for me. Mine is a molar so maybe they're treating it differently. The implant is in and has a little cap on it. There is definitely a space between my teeth but the implant is in the bone so I guess it's okay. I imagine a temporary tooth is still going to need a post and they don't want to put the post in just yet. The oral surgeon says the bone around the implant itself has to heal first. So I'm not sure.

Since it is a front tooth, I think I'd recommend an implant. I injured a tooth in a bicycle accident years ago, and it finally "died" a few years ago. I chose to have an implant, and I'm so glad I did. I've never had to think about it since!

It was a long process (over a year). Because it was a front tooth, they gave me a "flipper" (as someone else mentioned) so that I wouldn't be walking around toothless for a year. Even before I got the flipper (they had to make a mold, etc.), they stuck something temporary in there the very day my tooth was extracted so that I wouldn't have to appear in public with a gaping hole.

I had to have the bone graft too which added extra time.

The whole procedure was VERY expensive; our insurance didn't cover any of it. I think it was about $4,000. For that reason, if it were a molar I might get a bridge instead. But for a front tooth -- I'm glad I got the implant. Not just for looks but I can use it just like a regular tooth; I can bite into anything. :)