Menu

determining grade level

I'm perplexed to say the least. We've bounced around from one curriculum to the next since we've been relying on the graciousness of others.

I'm not sure exactly how to determine where each of the boys is really at. We can't afford formal testing so whatever method we use has to be free.

I'm hoping to fill in the gaps with some pinpoint remedial teaching.

Any ideas??

This is one of those things that you might just want to assign grade level by age...and then... separate mentally the major areas of study (reading, writing, math etc.) to a customized ability area in each category.

Would that be helpful for you?

My kid is all over the map on this concept. Some areas are high, some are on traditional level, and some are not where I'd like them to be and need extra time.

To get a general idea, K12 has some placement tests online, as does aceschooloftomorrow.com (though ACE tends to be a little 'behind' most ideas of grade levels). You have to register, but there's no commitment to sign up just to take the tests for either program.

Teaching Textbooks Placement Test:

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/Placement.htm

SONLIGHT Placement Tests:

http://www.sonlight.com/placement-tests.html

Keep in mind the placement test is like a guideline. No child is straight across the board grade level in all areas. Many times they are all over the place -- above or below grade level according to their strengths and weaknesses. Use the test results with your child's learning style and find the curriculum that fits. HTH

I am trained in the use of a Running Record to get grade level placement for reading comprehension. But this is not an easy test for a novice to do.

http://www.readinga-z.com/guided/runrecord.html/

More placement tests free or online:

http://www.iamhomeschooling.com/homeschooling-101/1453-placement-tests-for-homeschoolers

Edited by tex-mex

Heidi,

What *I* would do is buy a strong curriculum and simply fill in any gaps that show up. If you are positive the math is low, you could start a year behind; but there is so much overlap year to year in the elementary years, keeping a kid back isn't likely necessary (though it may take him a bit longer than a year to make it through it if there are many gaps). For your older son, you could do something like Lial's BCM which would allow him to go his own pace, but get him from scratch through pre-Algebra. Grammar is similar. Just jump in. If you start Rod and Staff, there are key years suggested to start with based on the age/level of the child jumping in. Other curriculum (or their users) would likely let you know if it is wise to start back a year.

What *I* would do is buy a strong curriculum.....For your older son, you could do something like Lial's BCM which would allow him to go his own pace, but get him from scratch through pre-Algebra.

We currently can't afford any curriculum. IF we could, what would you suggest?

I'm more than a little out of the loop but what is Lial's BCM??

I'm most worried about technical math and grammar skills as opposed to reading ability.

What areas of technical math? Math facts? Sloppy careless work on problems? Lack of understanding in fractions and decimals? ALEKS is great and Khan Academy has free tutorials online.

Grammar issues can be addressed with a program. But not every program fits with every child. Is this due to switching programs? Or teaching one lesson to all ages instead of one-on-one? Do you see errors in their writing or essays after teaching the Grammar lesson previously and it does not carry the concept to the writing? Give us specifics if you can.

My 9yo DS has trouble with math facts.

Math facts are like brushing your teeth -- you have to do it every day. Some kids master them with no effort. Others have to slug it out with daily route memorization. Your job as coach is trying to figure out why the memorization is not working.

http://www.mathfactcafe.com/

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/math-drills-minute.html ($ needed)

Make flashcards and drill, baby... drill. Break it down into fact families like one week it is the 3's and 6's to memorize. Practice M-TH and pop quiz on Friday. Use a timer for motivation. At the dinner table, get everyone to recite skip counting by 2's, 9's, 7's, etc. Make it into a game. Use incentives like if he masters a fact family, he earns a star on a chart for a big treat like a video game or ice cream. Earn all of the stars and he gets the item.

Using this free test as a semester goal, if he can do all of the (100) problems in under 3-5 minutes with no errors, he knows them.

Are you seeing a difficulty in memorization? Can he recite from memory? Does he panic when being tested? Or is he not motivated to memorize?

Edited by tex-mex

My oldest DS struggles with remembering parts of speech.

Free tutorials a la old school Schoolhouse Rock are available:

Use the above videos in an introduction or springboard into the actual lesson. Use free online worksheets or your favorite curriculum.

I'm sure many on this board can help you with free resources for parts of speech. Like in my math example, you as the coach have to figure out why the student is not getting the idea or understanding. Do they have a different learning style? Tailor the lesson to his style.

You may have to slow down instruction or repeat a lesson to make sure they have mastered it. HTH

We have the Schoolhouse Rock videos on dvd.

My 9 yo seems to have a hard time with memorization of even basic addition and subtraction facts. I have learned that he seems to need understanding of the "why" of things.

Well, it could be his personality is a deep thinker. :D

Could he have some mild issues with working memory? But before you panic, please know this is a classic problem for this age level (I used to teach this age) in this area of math. They will get it with lots of practice and drill. In the classroom, we would have to do daily drills, math games, and as part of homework require the student memorize math facts at home. Some students took the entire year to master this area.

If he truly is struggling in this area after 6-8 months with no sign of success... then he may have some legit working memory issues. No shame in having him use a multiplication chart in his math. But even down the road, it shows he has a LD... he will have to try to master facts and maybe need some acommodation like the multiplication chart?