Menu

Italian Greyhounds.....anyone have one?

We're kind of test-driving one now; a sweet little stray that (no lie!) walked into the bar entrance of a local Italian restaurant on the same night our older dog died. My friend is the animal control officer in town and the owners relinquished her so we're kind of fostering her with an option to keep. Dd is of course smitten, and she's really more of a Labrador Retriever in an Iggy body. No trembling, loves people and our other dog, very sweet and outgoing (rather un-Iggy-like, in my experience with the breed.)

She's had a couple of accidents in the house, all our fault, and right inside the back door, so I"m hoping that's a good sign. We just got her today and she's still settling in, so that's part of it too. If you tried, you could not come up with a more polar-opposite breed from our other dog than an Italian Greyhound. Seriously.

I'm worried that our big "puppy" will "break" her, and I"m worried that she'll be difficult to housebreak. She's sweet enough, but is totally untrained, and doesn't even know how to "sit." Lots of work ahead of us, clearly, if we decide to keep her. But this is one breed that I've had a bit of experience with in the show ring, but not in the home. And certainly not in MY home.

So, any Iggy owners out there? What's the good, the bad, and the ugly?

I've only known 3, all owned by the same family. They have also had perfectly wonderful mutts, so it *may* not be environment, but the dogs themselves. Each of these dogs was a nipper. I got more than one bite on the ankle from each, usually as I was leaving the house. They barked like mad anytime someone came over. They were frail. One broke her leg slipping on the wood floor rounding the corner while barking hysterically when the doorbell rang. Twice.

Another fell asleep on the floor of the car over the tailpipe and burnt all the skin off her chest (I didn't know this was possible). Two lived a long time and got dementia and HORRIBLE breath, with frequent trips to the doggie dentist for scrapes and pulls and antibiotics. Imagine rotting fish. That's how they smelled.

All three had easily upset stomachs (the runs if they got into snacks) and small reserves. They were very loving to their owners, but couldn't be babysat by friends as they were inconsolable when left and had to howl at a kennel.

Two of them lived 14 years, and everyone, just everyone, even the owners, heaved a sigh of relief when they were gone.

We also showed them. They are wonderful in the house dogs. They are hardier then they look. We often had to rescue bunnies, birds and other things they would catch in the yard. The sitting thing is funny. Ours hated the sit command, we did obedience with them after they became CH. I think they hated the sit command because it ment putting their bare bottoms on a cold floor LOL. I used to call them little heaters because they loved to get under the covers and they were so warm, warmer than the Shelties I have owned as an adult. Our IG's also loved to lay on the heat vents, Shelties prefer AC thank you very much. They do like to chase things and will run after something at a drop of a dime.

No answers. But I recently had a vision of a grey female retired greyhound coming to live with us.

I told db that I think we're going to come across one and she will love our Alaskan Malamute and he will love her, and don't think I'm crazy when some one offers and I say yes because I had this vision prior.

I say if this dog is sweet and has good temperment and the one you already have likes her - go for it if you have the time, energy, and money to devote to her. Dogs usually show up at just the right times. And everytime I thought I couldn't afford it - but fell in love with one, it worked out. My dawg Jake got me through my 20's and now I have Zeus for my 30's and probably into my 40's.

Dogs have incredible angels. I like to think I could always use a few good angels on the homefront.

ETA: I just reread your post. She walked into the restaurant? On the night your old dog died? Do you seriously need anymore signs? KEEP THE DOG! She is sooooooo meant to be with you!