Menu

Persepolis, Enthusiasm, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Giver... content?

I am considering the Boomerang Bookclub that Julie Bogart offers but I am unfamiliar with these titles. I'm wondering about the appropriateness of them for my 8th grader. Has anyone here read them, and if so, can you fill me in on any possibly mature content (sexual, violent, language, etc)? Thanks. I wish there was Screenit for books!

Their Eyes Were Watching God has mature content, as I recall both sexual and violent (but it has been a long time since I read it).

Check the online versions of cliff notes and even at wikipedia for plot summaries, you can at least get a tip off.

How sensitive is your 8th grader? I can't comment on the others, but there is some disturbing content in The Giver. It is written at an accessible reading level for most middle-schoolers, but the content can be shocking - as is the case with most dystopian fiction. My oldest read it in 7th grade as part of a parent-child book club. He thought it was a good book. Here is a content review of The Giver.

How sensitive is your 8th grader? I can't comment on the others, but there is some disturbing content in The Giver. It is written at an accessible reading level for most middle-schoolers, but the content can be shocking - as is the case with most dystopian fiction. My oldest read it in 7th grade as part of a parent-child book club. He thought it was a good book. Here is a content review of The Giver.

Hmmmm. She's not super-sensitive; I'd say that stuff would be borderline for her. Thanks for the link. I was unaware of that site. I'll discuss it with dh.

Their Eyes Were Watching God has mature content, as I recall both sexual and violent (but it has been a long time since I read it).

Check the online versions of cliff notes and even at wikipedia for plot summaries, you can at least get a tip off.

Thanks!

I love Marjane Satropi's books. Persepolis, though, is the author's childhood story, a frightening tale set during the Iranian revolution. A sensitive 8th grader might be troubled by the content--but I think that most young teens could benefit from reading and discussing this graphic novel.

I love Marjane Satropi's books. Persepolis, though, is the author's childhood story, a frightening tale set during the Iranian revolution. A sensitive 8th grader might be troubled by the content--but I think that most young teens could benefit from reading and discussing this graphic novel.

I just read about it; it's way too mature for my 8th grader (rape, etc). This Bravewriter Book Club sounds like a great idea, but there are four books I'd have her skip. Not sure if it's worth it. I can pay by the month but it would leave her without a lit course for Oct, Nov, Dec and Feb. Hmmm.

The movie is good too.

I think we watched the movie and then I got the combo book.

I have had to tell my son not to read the graphic novels I have at his age. I think at about 7th or 8th grade will be when I give him access to Persepolis, V for Vendetta, and Maus.