Menu

Math Curriculum for an 8th Grader...Could you give me some advice on these choices...

My 13dd just finished up with the Math U See Zeta book and is going into Pre-Algebra this upcoming fall. I'm wanting to use something different besides MUS and am considering Chalkdust, Teaching Textbooks or Video Text but not for sure which would be a better fit. My daughter is pretty good with math, not a genius by any means, considering it's her least favorite subject. Would anyone mind giving their input on these curriculums and the pros and cons they've encountered? I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks so much!

Our daughters sound very similar, pretty good at math, but least favorite subject. Teaching Textbooks has taken the pain out of math for the most part. She is understanding it very well and is able to work independently. She told me that she didn't think she would have made it through high school math without TT. We start our third year of high school TT this year and haven't looked back.

HTH

Cindy

I think the lectures are fantastic! Prof. Mosely has an incredibly engaging teaching style, IMO. Technical support is fantastic.

I think you will find people that use all three of these programs (and MORE!) that are happy with what they use. If you could see samples of them, that would probably help you the most in determining what the best fit is for your child.

We like Chalkdust. My dd likes Prof. Mosley. I like that the books are standardized and have good written explanations. (We've used Pre-Alg & Alg I.) My dd feels like she's learning a lot and does not complain about math. In fact, I don't think she complained once last year. That is pretty miraculous!

I agree with Cynthia. It helps tremendously to actually see a sample of the program you are looking at. Actually, my pre-alg has been making the rounds of my friends this summer.

Holly

I definitely agree with letting your daughter choose samples and see for herself. Being hopeless at math myself, I'm not sure Chalkdust would have worked for me, and I don't think the longer lectures would have worked well for our tight schedule.

Two years ago, I was in the same boat, so I took my son to the homeschool conference, and let him sit at the TT and the VT booths and try them both out. He chose VT and we've been very pleased with it.

I think I will take a look at those demos like you've suggested and go from there. Math has always been that one subject that I have always wanted to make the wisest choice in choosing. I guess I remember how I struggled to understand math in school especially once I hit Algebra and don't want that for my daughter. Don't know why I haven't already taken a look at those demos. Blessings to you all!

so I am assuming we had the traditional set. Seems like the value set doesn't come with an in-hand, complete solutions manual, but I am not sure???

The text we used was by Aufman/Barker/Lockwood and reads, "Special Second Edition for Chalk Dust Company" on the cover. The ISBN # is 0-618-24991-5.

HTH. We loved this text.