Menu

My workbox system...but with folders instead of boxes

fourcatmom

Thanks for sharing- I'm working on something too! I like the new look of your blog too!:)

Thanks! I was so stressed the weekend I did that (blog). I don't know if I "really" like it but I couldn't make work wanted I wanted, so I settled for this. I appreciate the comment!

I tried a form of boxing things, but it didn't work for me. This year I'm using this. Each child gets an expanding file that has 12 pockets. I fill 10 with 2 weeks of anticipated work and put the remaining pages in the back few pockets. If something doesn't get done, I just advance it to the next day's pocket (which has already happened a lot).

If I try to keep the worksheet pages I want to do together until the day we use them, I lose them. If I print a whole workbook, I lose it or change my mind and have lots of wasted paper and toner. So, I'm hoping that just printing two weeks at a time, distributing the papers to each child's folder and then storing any extras in the same place will help keep me in line.

I use the exact same folders for our work as well, but I take it apart to make it more sturdy.

I also do it by day instead of subject, but I like the idea of by subject as well. Maybe I could work up a hybrid. hmmm....

Anyway, here's the blog post where I describe our system.

BTW, I like the new look of your blog as well!

Oh poo. I really wanted to see it. I love seeing all the workbox ideas. But, for some reason my SecureIt is blocking your blog. I've put it in my whitelist but it still blocks it. :confused: Strange because I've been to your blog before. :confused:

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I use the exact same folders for our work as well, but I take it apart to make it more sturdy.

I also do it by day instead of subject, but I like the idea of by subject as well. Maybe I could work up a hybrid. hmmm....

Well for pete's sake....same thing with your blog! I put it in the whitelist and it still is blocked. What the heck is goin' on?? :banghead:

The spines on them are terrible. I was considering taking the spines off and just rebinding them but I didn't want to ruin them either. I like that they are small and handy if we need to take with us. I actually searched high and low for the folders here and finally asked a fellow WTM'er if she would buy them and send them to me. I am so happy that she did!

The spines on them are terrible. I was considering taking the spines off and just rebinding them but I didn't want to ruin them either. I like that they are small and handy if we need to take with us. I actually searched high and low for the folders here and finally asked a fellow WTM'er if she would buy them and send them to me. I am so happy that she did!

I just put ours in a 1 inch binder. I didn't want big and bulky either!

Well, if you put yours in a binder okay then I should be able to just put new spines on them or put them in a binder? :001_smile:

I tell in my blog post how I took them apart. Basically I just took off that comb binding, threw away the front cover (kept the back one), then stuck the pages in a three ring binder. The holes left from the comb binding line up perfectly with the three rings, except the middle ring might need some help to fit which I did with a single hole punch. It took about 10 minutes.

I just put ours in a 1 inch binder. I didn't want big and bulky either!

I have seen your post about these before. I think you posted on something else that I have been on? Not sure where though. The only reason I didn't do days instead of subjects was I though he folder would be too thick. I also have a dd that gets kind of overwhelmed with things and I though seeing lessons in short versions was better then a long list. I like your books, thanks for sharing!

I also haven't used mine yet so not really how sure how they will work? Are you using yours yet?

I have seen your post about these before. I think you posted on something else that I have been on? Not sure where though. The only reason I didn't do days instead of subjects was I though he folder would be too thick. I also have a dd that gets kind of overwhelmed with things and I though seeing lessons in short versions was better then a long list. I like your books, thanks for sharing!

I also haven't used mine yet so not really how sure how they will work? Are you using yours yet?

We've been using ours all this year for 2nd grade and Pre-K. I :001_wub: them and the system we have in place. I've tried every workbox method under the sun it feels like and this has been the easiest, most economical, and the best space saver of them all!

They have held up very well, but I knew if I kept them in the comb-binding they would not have (crushed binding, the pockets coming loose, etc.).

I have been working hard at organizing for next year. I have part 1 complete. I am using pocket folders for each child and listing their daily assignments that way.

Pictures and explanation here

Just wanted to share! :001_smile:

Share how you organize!

What pocket folders did you buy? I like that system a lot. I need streamlined and portable.

I tell in my blog post how I took them apart. Basically I just took off that comb binding, threw away the front cover (kept the back one), then stuck the pages in a three ring binder. The holes left from the comb binding line up perfectly with the three rings, except the middle ring might need some help to fit which I did with a single hole punch. It took about 10 minutes.

I like this idea and of course I'd put it in a Better Binder. :001_smile:

What pocket folders did you buy? I like that system a lot. I need streamlined and portable.

They were at Wal-Mart. It's an 8 pocket folder. I actually got mine from someone on here since I couldn't find any locally. I wanted them and I knew I would use them. I was lucky she agreed! :001_smile:

Hi! I love this pocket thing!! I used ours for our geography study to separate out each day's activities for the week. I found mine last year at Walmart too. But, I noticed that they were gone shortly after the "school supply season" ended. $4.99 if I remember correctly.

You have inspired me to change it up for my 3rd grader's daily work. I am really trying to get him to be a little more independent although we still have a lot of teacher-intensive subjects at his age. He will love being able to go see most of what is needed & get it done on his time.

Thanks for the idea!

Hi! I love this pocket thing!! I used ours for our geography study to separate out each day's activities for the week. I found mine last year at Walmart too. But, I noticed that they were gone shortly after the "school supply season" ended. $4.99 if I remember correctly.

You have inspired me to change it up for my 3rd grader's daily work. I am really trying to get him to be a little more independent although we still have a lot of teacher-intensive subjects at his age. He will love being able to go see most of what is needed & get it done on his time.

Thanks for the idea!

I think there are so many ways to use these! They are handy. I could not find mine, that's why I asked someone to buy them for me but I will be looking now that school supplies are out. I really love the pockets too! :001_smile:

They were at Wal-Mart. It's an 8 pocket folder. I actually got mine from someone on here since I couldn't find any locally. I wanted them and I knew I would use them. I was lucky she agreed! :001_smile:

Thanks for sharing. We have a Wal Mart in town :001_smile:. What a sweet forum friend to send you pocket folders! I just LOVE this forum. :001_smile: