Menu

HOD and grammar

parias1126

I'm looking for suggestions for a grammar program to use other then R&S. I need to decided by Friday because our homeschool curriculum book fair is coming up. I am looking for something that won't be repetitive of HOD and what it has to offer (i.e., copywork and writing assignments). I love the way Queen's Language Arts program looks, but I think the copywork sections would make it too repetitive. I used GWG last year, but want to switch this year because after using it for two years in a row, my children just are not retaining and it feels like such busy work now. I want something that is going to be a bit verbal that we can do together and the children will enjoy. I know GWG is supposed to be independent more or less, but it never ended up that way. If I'm sitting with the children anyway, I would rather it be quality time with a quality grammar program where we can discuss things. I love the picture study idea for discussion, but the copywork in most of those programs would be redundant.

Is there anything like this?? I know I can do R&S verbally, but I have looked it over and I'm just not sure my DS would enjoy it as much as something else. What about FLL 3? Does this have a lot of copywork? We started 2 and never completed because I was trying to do two grammar programs and ended up sticking with GWG which I probably should had done the opposite. My children did love it though!

I would take a look at Growing with Grammar. It is straightforward grammar and it's in workbook form. I've used it in the past and now do R&S because it is scheduled in HOD and simplifies my day. :001_smile:

As I said in my original post, I'm trying to switch from GWG.

I see you are also using WWE. Do I need to add a writing program along with it too?

We aren't using all of WWE just the narration and copywork parts. To actually work on forming sentences, paragraphs, etc. I am using Winning With Writing.

FLL is strictly grammar, no writing exercises. I believe that Rod and Staff has writing exercises thrown in with their grammar, so you would need a basic writing program if you wanted that instruction.

Next year I'm using the WWE hardback book to pull passages from what we are reading instead of using the preselected passages in the workbook.

This last year I bought the worksheets and it was great! Not every lesson has a worksheet, but it was a nice and easy way to add some variety. It also made life easier for me because it gave me flexibility (they didn't have to wait until I had time to do grammar with them). :D

LOL :) I was distracted and had GWG on my brain. I meant to say CLE. The spelling list was the only thing I found redundant because HOD provides the spelling sentence dictation. We used CLE in place of R&S for one year and it was a nice break. Sorry about that. :tongue_smilie:

LOL :) I was distracted and had GWG on my brain. I meant to say CLE. The spelling list was the only thing I found redundant because HOD provides the spelling sentence dictation. We used CLE in place of R&S for one year and it was a nice break. Sorry about that. :tongue_smilie:

I hadn't thought of CLE! We use CLE math here and love it, but not sure about my DS using the LA too if its like the math because he takes over an hour to complete his math lessons anyway. It's gotten to the point where I need to cross out problems and it's still taking him forever.