Menu

Vika system by IKEA

We are thinking about re-doing our homeschool room with the Vika system by IKEA. However, the closest IKEA is about 3 hours from our home, so we are thinking about just ordering it. Does anyone have experience, either good or bad with this product? I've seen it a lot in homeschool room pics on the Net, and it seems like people are pleased with it.

We have those in our school room.

My boys have the Vika Amon desktop, with two legs on one side, and the Vika Annefors shelf system on the other side for "legs".

I have a longer Vika Amon desktop, two legs and the Vika Alex drawer system on one side.

Overall, love them! Love my Vika Alex drawers, deep and glide so smoothly!

The only thing that bothers me is that the desktops move off the Vika Annefors shelf quite a bit. Meaning the desktop will "skew" and not be aligned with it. The Annefors have little rubber numbs on top that are supposed to prevent this movement, but they've come off and gotten lost. So I am constantly pushing the desktop back in place, which drives me nuts. It's mostly for my DS13 and DS9, so I assume they are somehow causing that to happen, perhaps pulling on the desktop or something. My desktop will skew a bit on the Vika Alex, but not that noticeably. I mean, it can be 1-2 inches off alignment for my sons' desks.

Overall, great pricing and I like that you can customize. You can get all legs, get shelfs on one side, shelfs on both sides. Etc.

I would caution if you get a shelf like the Annefors on one side, to get the mid-size desktop if you have the space. That shelf system reduces the leg/body room under the desk. It's fine for my DS9 and DS5, who are both skinny types. But for DS13, I can see it was a bit small for his body under the desk from day one (course he's 5'10 and 200lbs..so he's man-size!). It's on my list to get him the next length. I have a longer length and there's plenty of room.

p.s. Even though you say Ikea is 3 hours, if you can do the trip, make it a long day trip, it's worth it. You can see the product in person, they will have all sorts of configurations on display, and it's all flat-boxed, so if you have a minivan or truck, it can easily be hauled home. Delivery is $$$$ and you have to wait 2-3 weeks and then be home during the hours they arrive. I've done it both ways, and the store trip was much better. (I'm 2 hours one way or 90 minutes another way from Ikea)

p.s. I have pictures of our school area on my horribly outdated blog :)....scroll down a bit to see just pics of our school room...I just redid-it last summer so I was super proud :).

Edited by Samiam

Price delivery if you haven't already. IKEA sells stuff online, but it is usually cheaper and easier to drive three hours to get it. I was interested in one of their inexpensive cribs a couple years ago. It could be ordered online, but the shipping was over $300 for an under $100 crib. We had grandma watch the kids, took both back seats out of our minivan and made the 3 hour trip. It was well worth it for us.

We have it and we love it!

It's easy to make IKEA a 'field trip' or date for you and your dh. There's lunch and dessert and if you walk leisurely around the store, you can get great ideas that you can duplicate at home without necessarily buying anything.

:auto: