Menu

Sources for good lower cost printer ink?

I need to get a new printer/copier, but since ink is so expensive, I decided to start by seeing what I could do about the ink before settling on a printer.

My likely top choice other than the ink issue is a Canon that takes separate refill cartridges for each color--but so far I've not found that I can buy a single color alone even though I can replace them alone.

The only refilling I have presently found being done is for HP, but I do not see an HP machine that fits what I want. I thought there used to be places that empty cartridges could be sent to and come back filled, but I don't see that anymore ????? The local Office Max said most of the companies are not allowing that anymore.

I decided I do want inkjet, not laser, and I need the machine I get to be able to do both color and b/w, and to be able to print, copy, and print photos direct from a memory card, and to have a small footprint as we have limited space. (I do not need scanner or fax, so far as what my past use indicates.) Any thoughts on what you have that you like?

Well I have a HP F2210, which is an Ink Hog unless you print on draft. I love that I can copy things or scan and it handles my heavier mailing labels without getting jammed. I was spending a good $30 on black ink alone buying new every month. BUT I buy ink at Goodwill :D which makes it okay that it is an ink hog. Our Goodwill has stores designated "Computer Works" location that sell computer parts, monitors, etc. They also sell ink for less than $5 a cartridge brand new:D I normally pay $2 for both black and color ink. Since I then recycle them through OfficeMax during back to school season for $2 each, it comes out a pretty good deal IMO. I just make it a point to every time I go by any of the designated locations to run in and check for the ones I need. Takes 5 minutes tops most times including checkout. And it gives me an excuse to go look at the kids books since I'm already there ;)