Menu

What if Mom wants to earn a degree?

So here's my thoughts:

I have an associates degree in liberal arts, but never went on to a bachelor's. I've worked in the computer field and have experience there, so I'd probably get a degree in computer science. Eventually, dh would like to be the stay at home, homeschooling dad and would like me to work, so a degree would help with that. Money is tight, and my time is even tighter (I have a 3yo at home, and she kicks my butt). This has me wondering what my options are. Can I study on my own and clep test toward a degree? Is there a way I can combine my own knowledge and work experience with a minimal number of classes to earn a bachelor's in computer science? Any good books, websites, or info to get me pointed in the right direction?

I would start by researching the websites and then contacting a few schools you are interested in. They will have policies that determine if and which CLEP exams will count towards your degree. My guess would be that you probably fulfill most of the general requirements through your Associates; you would have to take a lot of specialized classes for which CLEP will not be helpful.

I do not think that your work experience will count to satisfy course requirements; you may, however, be able to ask for credit by examination in courses for which you already possess the expertise. You need to talk to the specific department and the instructor that teaches the course in question.

If you are talking about traditional colleges, most take CLEP exams for only core requirements that are required for all majors. You may already have those from your associates degree, although it depends on the college.

You might also consider professional certifications if you are already working. I know several with database, network, and/or web certifications without degrees that are doing just fine, although the degree is of course a big plus. I did my web certifications about 5 years ago by studying on my own, and the college where I teach paid the fees, but it wasn't more than $500 total.

It depends on what you're doing currently in the industry and what part of the country you're in, but the recruiters in my area want an IT or CSC degree that follows the ACM guidelines: http://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations. I haven't checked lately, but when I looked into College Plus several years ago for a friend, their program didn't follow the ACM guidelines.

Edited by GVA

Basic computer science courses are available online for free at coursera.org and udacity.com --They may not help you graduate faster since they are non-credit, but you can put them on a resume. If you do find a way to get to college, the experiences will help you do better.

Where do you live? Is there a good computer science department nearby? If so, see if they offer continuing education classes you could access as a non-degree student and get certifications and such more quickly than a full degree would take. What about good employers who might be hiring? Can you target companies with education benefits that will pay for you to continue your training and work your way up?

--Janet

You can also check out accredited distance learning via places like Penn State's World Campus, where earned credits would very likely transfer. The key is to spend your time on definitely accredited courses.

Some places like our currently local U offer 5-week semesters in summer and in January. You could possibly make an occasional 5-week commitment to one or two courses (I recommend 1 the first time, because these are full semester courses packed into 1/3 of the time-- I did several with a 2 1/2 year old and very pregnant with my second) to get some early courses knocked out.

You could look for a smaller but well-regarded business school nearby that caters to people who work full-time; they offer weeknight and weekend courses and professors who understand adult learners, and if carefully chosen, are a notch above community college courses.

Good luck!

This book:

http://www.amazon.com/Earning-Degrees-Nontraditionally-Distance-Learning/dp/0962931241

led me to the college that was perfect for working toward my degree with a very small child, a mortgage, and two part-time at-home jobs going on. (Turns out the school was in my home town, literally moments from my house, but I actually used their independent/distance learning program; still, very convenient!)

As a couple of other posters said: make sure whatever you're doing is accredited.

I think with your associates degree you are in a GREAT position to finish. Off the top of my head, I know that UNCG has some great options for degree completion distance learning programs. I'd check them out; then try to find that book at your library and do some more research.

We checked into this program for a Computer Science degree and they do not offer it. Plus many upper level Computer Sci classes are difficult, many colleges want the student to be on campus.

They have it listed here. Maybe it has changed since you checked. It's worth looking into for the OP.

We are considering College Plus for our dd in a few years.

http://www.collegeplus.org/majors

Computer science, computer information systems, and information systems are different programs with a different focus.

Computer science is a very math-oriented, analytical degree with a lot of homework. If you go with an ACM-curriculum school, you'll go through calculus and beyond in math and get into developing operating systems and/or compilers which are considered among the hardest kinds of software to develop. Computer science is up there along with architecture, nursing, and engineering in terms of the amount of homework involved.

And yes, I would think through the actually job prospects for a degree from online-only school if you're thinking of employment with a larger corporation or defense contractor. The recruiters I've talked to from those type of companies are passing on recent graduates from that type of school. If you have experience, it is a different matter but a new degree from Capella, U of Phoenix, Thomas Edison, etc. with no experience can be a problem. Your local situation may vary.

Thank you all for the info! I have a great start! I don't think I'll be doing this *this year*, but am thinking about starting next year. Lots to think about. I'm in a state (MI) that has had a huge problem with unemployment. Then there was a mass exodus of people leaving the state for other jobs. Now, the technology field is hiring, but struggling to find people to fill positions (because everyone left, lol).