Menu

Consolidated Supply List for ACS' Middle School Chemistry

Nestof3

Okay, I spent all yesterday going through the text making teacher preparation notes, noting suppliers, and organizing the supplies by type to make it easy to prepare a supply box over the summer. I hope this helps someone.

Here is the file:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4258391/supply-list-pdf-july-7-2012-11-05-am-123k?da=y

If that doesn't work, try the short link: http://kvisit.com/S1_SDAg

I am really excited about this program!

Also, I had http://www.bestvaluecopy.com/ print and bind the entire document double-sided for my ease. Shipped, this cost me $25. I printed the activity sheets for the boys with my own printer. With an inkjet, it probably would have been cheaper to have ordered three binders instead. :lol:

Edited by nestof3

Nestof3, thank you so much for all you have done. I had pulled together a supply list, but thanks to you I saw there were things I had missed (spot plate!). And it never occurred to me to post my lists to the board.

I think ACS has put together a great chemistry year, and you are making it so much easier for other people to use.

Nestof3, thank you so much for all you have done. I had pulled together a supply list, but thanks to you I saw there were things I had missed (spot plate!). And it never occurred to me to post my lists to the board.

I think ACS has put together a great chemistry year, and you are making it so much easier for other people to use.

Thank you! It really does look like a great program. I really appreciate the fantastic activity sheets they created for the students, and there is so much information for the teacher -- really step-by-step!

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I just logged on to the boards to search for more information about ACS Middle School Chemistry. I just heard of it last night and checked it out. It looks AWESOME!

I was curious to see how much it would cost to get it printed out through Staples - $65 and that was only with getting it hole punched and nothing else. When I saw your link for where you got it printed I about did cartwheels! I can stomach that price a lot better!:001_smile:

Teresa

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I just logged on to the boards to search for more information about ACS Middle School Chemistry. I just heard of it last night and checked it out. It looks AWESOME!

I was curious to see how much it would cost to get it printed out through Staples - $65 and that was only with getting it hole punched and nothing else. When I saw your link for where you got it printed I about did cartwheels! I can stomach that price a lot better!:001_smile:

Teresa

On their website, there is a coupon code for free copies. Shipping was nearly $12 of the cost. So, if you have any more printing to do, I recommend you have it all done at once.

I received an answer regarding the tincture of iodine (in alcohol) vs. alcohol in water (what http://www.hometrainingtools.com/ sells). Just wanted to pass it along.

Also, toothpicks do not have to be flat.

The dilute solution of iodine that you already have should work just fine for Chapter 6, Lesson 6. To test that it does, you can add a small amount of the iodine solution to a small pile of cornstarch and confirm that it turns purple.

Well, I am an idiot. There is a supply list on their website:

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/materials/

Yeah, but they didn't break it all down by household items, etc. like you did! But I feel bad that you went through each lesson to see what was needed?! Ugh! Well, still - the categorization of where to buy stuff with tips on specific stores is awesome! I had their list already (sorry, I thought you had used that to make your own!!!), but am using yours as well.

When I think of it, though, it helped to look through and get an idea of what the labs would be. It helped to know if a substitution could be made.

Did you order the self-inflating balloon? Did you see my post about the do-it-yourself one.

Yeah, but they didn't break it all down by household items, etc. like you did! But I feel bad that you went through each lesson to see what was needed?! Ugh! Well, still - the categorization of where to buy stuff with tips on specific stores is awesome! I had their list already (sorry, I thought you had used that to make your own!!!), but am using yours as well.

When I think of it, though, it helped to look through and get an idea of what the labs would be. It helped to know if a substitution could be made.

Did you order the self-inflating balloon? Did you see my post about the do-it-yourself one.

I haven't ordered anything yet, but plan to this week. I wanted to download all of it and McHenry's Elements and look over all of it before jumping into the supplies.

I haven't ordered anything yet, but plan to this week. I wanted to download all of it and McHenry's Elements and look over all of it before jumping into the supplies.

I have everything except two more large washers, MSG, and hydrogen peroxide (I didn't realize I was almost out).

I cut everything out and laminated as needed. My aim is to have all my planning done in July. I want August free to do nothing school-related. There aren't that many things needed for The Elements outside of basic household items (except baby food jars).

Which one are you starting with?

I have everything except two more large washers, MSG, and hydrogen peroxide (I didn't realize I was almost out).

I cut everything out and laminated as needed. My aim is to have all my planning done in July. I want August free to do nothing school-related. There aren't that many things needed for The Elements outside of basic household items (except baby food jars).

Which one are you starting with?

I'm impressed! Have you ever used a curriculum that took this much prep time?! Maybe it's because I printed out the lessons one-by-one, flipping them over and printing backsides, etc. Printing on cardstock is next. Not sure what I'll actually laminate. Did you laminate all those element cards? That might be a good idea. I think they're something that would be used even for high school chemistry quiz studies, don't you think?

We're going to do McHenry's Elements first, partly because it makes sense, partly because I'm excited about it! We're going to do Chemistry twice weekly, so I think 8 weeks on Elements (one lesson/week) will give us plenty of time for playing the games, etc. I picked up about 11 books, each one on a different element, at a library sale. They look pretty good. So I think after doing Elements we'll extend that topic a bit and he can read those books and then either make more trading cards or fill out the report pagea. Do that for 5 weeks. Then we'll spend about 20 weeks on MCS. OR we might do MCS directly after Elements and then the library books last. Gotta look at our schedule, see when it would fall during the year, etc.

I'm excited about this because my son is also excited about Chemistry. This summer he is working through "Exploring the World of Chemistry" (because one chapter = 15 minutes of playing Madden on the computer!). He really enjoys it, and requires no help from me. It's sort of a history of chemistry, and focuses a lot on interesting discoveries and facts. Reads kind of like articles from a magazine rather than a textbook. At the end of each chapter there's a short multiple-choice quiz.

It's really not that horrible, but I want to have it all ready before school starts because I have more time right now. I generally plan all my science units, so this is actually easier. :lol:

I didn't laminate the cards, but you are right that they could be used again. I laminated:

p. 4 exploring water

Laminate (2) 5x8 inch index cards, or cover with wax paper and tape.

p. 13 “Water Drops Uniteâ€

Print on paper or cardstock, laminate or cover with wax paper and tape.

p. 14 “Race Drop Racewayâ€

Adhere to cardboard and tape wax paper to it. I think you could also just print on cardstock and laminate.

p. 223 “Temperature Affects Densityâ€

Laminate a standard size index card, or use an unneeded playing card, like a Joker.

p. 476 water and alcohol

Laminate a standard size index card, or cover with wax paper and tape.

p. 603 “Testing Chartâ€

Print and laminate.

For The Elements, I assembled the Periodic Table Game and printed and cut out all the cards games.

My chemistry supplies came today, and I am giddy. :D

Keep me posted on how you are doing and if you are enjoying it all. :D

I'm impressed! Have you ever used a curriculum that took this much prep time?! Maybe it's because I printed out the lessons one-by-one, flipping them over and printing backsides, etc. Printing on cardstock is next. Not sure what I'll actually laminate. Did you laminate all those element cards? That might be a good idea. I think they're something that would be used even for high school chemistry quiz studies, don't you think?

We're going to do McHenry's Elements first, partly because it makes sense, partly because I'm excited about it! We're going to do Chemistry twice weekly, so I think 8 weeks on Elements (one lesson/week) will give us plenty of time for playing the games, etc. I picked up about 11 books, each one on a different element, at a library sale. They look pretty good. So I think after doing Elements we'll extend that topic a bit and he can read those books and then either make more trading cards or fill out the report pagea. Do that for 5 weeks. Then we'll spend about 20 weeks on MCS. OR we might do MCS directly after Elements and then the library books last. Gotta look at our schedule, see when it would fall during the year, etc.

I'm excited about this because my son is also excited about Chemistry. This summer he is working through "Exploring the World of Chemistry" (because one chapter = 15 minutes of playing Madden on the computer!). He really enjoys it, and requires no help from me. It's sort of a history of chemistry, and focuses a lot on interesting discoveries and facts. Reads kind of like articles from a magazine rather than a textbook. At the end of each chapter there's a short multiple-choice quiz.

It's really not that horrible, but I want to have it all ready before school starts because I have more time right now. I generally plan all my science units, so this is actually easier. :lol:

I didn't laminate the cards, but you are right that they could be used again. I laminated:

p. 4 exploring water

Laminate (2) 5x8 inch index cards, or cover with wax paper and tape.

p. 13 “Water Drops Uniteâ€

Print on paper or cardstock, laminate or cover with wax paper and tape.

p. 14 “Race Drop Racewayâ€

Adhere to cardboard and tape wax paper to it. I think you could also just print on cardstock and laminate.

p. 223 “Temperature Affects Densityâ€

Laminate a standard size index card, or use an unneeded playing card, like a Joker.

p. 476 water and alcohol

Laminate a standard size index card, or cover with wax paper and tape.

p. 603 “Testing Chartâ€

Print and laminate.

For The Elements, I assembled the Periodic Table Game and printed and cut out all the cards games.

My chemistry supplies came today, and I am giddy. :D

Keep me posted on how you are doing and if you are enjoying it all. :D

Ugh - I can't imagine planning science units!

I thought I'd probably laminate the cards (because I could even have my younger kids play with them to lay them out like the Periodic Table). I wonder if I should have ds color them the "correct" color to match the Table? That might be good. I'll also laminate the board game. I was just thinking I'd lay the 4 pieces next to each other. Did you tape and fold yours or what?

We have a Toy and Science store a few blocks from us that I'd like to support, and they carrry used items (flasks, test tubes, etc.). So I need to go there first before ordering stuff. But of course I can't seem to find a time that works. Not really wanting to take the younger kids because of the "Toy" part! I know it'd be so much easier to order online!

Which curriculum are you doing first?

Have you seen some of Mrs. (Liz?) LaRosa's chemistry stuff? She's a middle school teacher that has put together some great stuff - worksheets, Power Point presentations, games (I think), other. I downloaded some of her files. Let me know if you want the link (don't know it off the top of my head) or the files. She has a sheet called "Element of the Day" - kind of a simplified version of the page McHenry uses. She has some great-looking information/worksheets for learning about balancing equations, I think including a game.

You sound like me -- deliberating over how to color them. :lol:

For the periodic game, I taped the four pages together on the back and then adhered to a large piece of foamboard from the craft store. This made it sturdy and gave a border to the game.

Oooh -- I envy you for having such a great store close by. I can imagine having such a fun time there. My husband was awed today with the ball and ring apparatus as he has fond memories of some public tv person showing an experiment with it in school. He said he never would have believed that one day he would have one in his own house. :lol:

We are doing Elements first b/c it seems like a more fun and easy-going intro. It eases into it by discussing recipes. I'm afraid I'll feel like we are backtracking if we do the other way around.

I'd love the link to the site you mentioned. I have a workbook with some handouts and such. One is a periodic table with the elements to be cut as individual little cards. Some of the have the atomic 3 on them, some have the # of protons, some have the atomic mass, etc. You have to figure out where they go based on this. If you want one, I will print it out for you and even cut the little cards. It seems like a good wrap-up activity to make sure the students really understand all that a periodic table tells. There are a few other fun handouts as well.

I can send you samples of some of the chemicals -- citric acid, coarse salt, I even have ice cream salt, sand (if you don't have any near you), epsom salts, etc.

Ugh - I can't imagine planning science units!

I thought I'd probably laminate the cards (because I could even have my younger kids play with them to lay them out like the Periodic Table). I wonder if I should have ds color them the "correct" color to match the Table? That might be good. I'll also laminate the board game. I was just thinking I'd lay the 4 pieces next to each other. Did you tape and fold yours or what?

We have a Toy and Science store a few blocks from us that I'd like to support, and they carrry used items (flasks, test tubes, etc.). So I need to go there first before ordering stuff. But of course I can't seem to find a time that works. Not really wanting to take the younger kids because of the "Toy" part! I know it'd be so much easier to order online!

Which curriculum are you doing first?

Have you seen some of Mrs. (Liz?) LaRosa's chemistry stuff? She's a middle school teacher that has put together some great stuff - worksheets, Power Point presentations, games (I think), other. I downloaded some of her files. Let me know if you want the link (don't know it off the top of my head) or the files. She has a sheet called "Element of the Day" - kind of a simplified version of the page McHenry uses. She has some great-looking information/worksheets for learning about balancing equations, I think including a game.

You sound like me -- deliberating over how to color them. :lol:

For the periodic game, I taped the four pages together on the back and then adhered to a large piece of foamboard from the craft store. This made it sturdy and gave a border to the game.

Oooh -- I envy you for having such a great store close by. I can imagine having such a fun time there. My husband was awed today with the ball and ring apparatus as he has fond memories of some public tv person showing an experiment with it in school. He said he never would have believed that one day he would have one in his own house. :lol:

We are doing Elements first b/c it seems like a more fun and easy-going intro. It eases into it by discussing recipes. I'm afraid I'll feel like we are backtracking if we do the other way around.

I'd love the link to the site you mentioned. I have a workbook with some handouts and such. One is a periodic table with the elements to be cut as individual little cards. Some of the have the atomic 3 on them, some have the # of protons, some have the atomic mass, etc. You have to figure out where they go based on this. If you want one, I will print it out for you and even cut the little cards. It seems like a good wrap-up activity to make sure the students really understand all that a periodic table tells. There are a few other fun handouts as well.

I can send you samples of some of the chemicals -- citric acid, coarse salt, I even have ice cream salt, sand (if you don't have any near you), epsom salts, etc.

Here is the link for Mrs. LaRosa's teaching materials:

http://www.middleschoolscience.com/chemistry.htm

She has a lot of science stuff, and seems like an awesome teacher! Scroll down and you'll see lesson plans for the Periodic Table, Atomic Models, Particles, Elements, Compounds, Formulas, Bonding, Chemical Reactions, Balancing Equations. Only bad thing is no answer keys!

Well, I'd love the periodic table cutout thing! THANKS. And what about the chemicals - do you have enough to spare, and enough for me? Maybe it'd make sense for me to buy your extra? I haven't even really looked at prices yet. And what sort of container do they come in? I guess I'd still have to buy a container for each chemical, which might be more of a hassle than it's worth. No idea how much that would be! And a hassle for you to send.