Menu

Peela, I'm convinced...

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm now washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar/water. I have straight/fine/thin/oily hair and this is working better than my regular shampoo and conditioner. I didn't even realize the other products were weighing my hair down, but I needed the conditioner because I wouldn't be able to get a comb through my hair after I washed it. I was concerned I would have the same issue with the baking soda/vinegar, but the combing was no problem.

The only negative is the smell of vinegar. Now that I'm using olive oil on my body and vinegar on my hair, does that officially make me a salad?:D

I'm thinking if you mix your shampoo and conditioner you'll be a science experiment :lol:.

I missed the thread, but you just scrub with baking soda and rinse with vinegar? Is this just for fine/thin/straight hair or would it work on fine/thick/wavy hair too?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Peela's hair is thicker and wavier than mine.

Make a thin paste with baking soda and water, massage it into your scalp and hair, rinse it out with water, then follow with a rinse of diluted vinegar, rinse with water again. This is what I did. I'm not sure if that is exactly what Peela does. She also has only been doing this about every 3 days and just washing with water between. I'm going to try that today since I don't have to go anywhere.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Well, today I tried washing with just water and it didn't work -oily and lifeless describes it well. So I redid it with the baking soda and vinegar. I can see that it would probably work to just not wash my hair every other day, especially in the winter.

I am glad it is working for someone else!

I am still a bit amazed myself. 6 weeks now for me.

No, plain water is not enough for me at all..Just makes my hair lifeless and yuk. But the soda seems to soak up the oil in my hair and make it quite fluffy and clean feeling. Also, I definitely "scrub" my scalp with the baking soda for a minute, and that feels good too.

For rinsing, I use quite a dilute acid- I use lemon juice to blonden my blonde, but I probably only use a tbs or 2 for about a litre of water. ..I don't mind the lemon juice smell,(I have used both fresh and bottled lemon juice) but if i were to use vinegar I might add a drop or two of an essential oil like lavender. I also rinse with more water after using the lemon juice rinse.

Another thing I have done is get just a drop or two of coconut oil and rubbed it into just the ends of my hair- I have an oily scalp and dry ends. It seems to work well and doesn't make my hair look greasy at all. I am fussy about that!

I also thought it might be hard to get a comb through my hair, after being used to using conditioner all those years, but no, its ok. Not as easy as with conditioner, but not bad at all. I don't think I am losing as much hair, either.

Guest Virginia Dawn

On day 5 here. I put away my shampoo and conditioner for good. I filled a squirt bottle with the diluted vinegar to use in the shower. I might try the lemon juice or add a essential oil to the vinegar, but I've gotten used to it.

I'm now washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar/water. I have straight/fine/thin/oily hair and this is working better than my regular shampoo and conditioner. I didn't even realize the other products were weighing my hair down, but I needed the conditioner because I wouldn't be able to get a comb through my hair after I washed it. I was concerned I would have the same issue with the baking soda/vinegar, but the combing was no problem.

The only negative is the smell of vinegar. Now that I'm using olive oil on my body and vinegar on my hair, does that officially make me a salad?:D

I'm glad you posted, Virginia Dawn. I meant to try this out on one of the dds and forgot.

A new look for ya...to go with the salad dressing:

Carmen_Miranda.jpg