Menu

Help me pick a new math for ds7

He struggles to learn. I mean he REALLY.STRUGGLES.TO.LEARN!!!!!! We use Horizons (dd did AMAZING with it before switching to TT and ds 6 does really good with it) but ds 7 needs something else. He needs something that gives enough time on a concept (a few lessons- enough time to really cement the concept) BUT he also needs continual review. What can you recommend? I was thinking BJU math. Any other thoughts?

I like Rod and Staff and Saxon Math for just the reasons you stated. I have never used BJU.

Rod and Staff was recommended on the SN board too. I am checking that out now. I will also look into Saxon. Have you used both? Would you recommend one over another?? If you do, why??

Thank you :001_smile:

I think Saxon sounds perfect for his learning style. It is "spiral learning". It goes over a new idea every couple of lessons, but revisits that idea several times during the year. And even into next year for some of the basics (like the addition & subtraction facts). We have been using it since K and my dd loves it. They also have a bucket of "manipulatives" that you can get to go with grades k-3. They are objects (such as: counting teddy bears, tanagrams, linking cubes) that you use with the lessons. That's why my dd loves it so much. You get to "play" with something while doing Math :)

BJU is good and has daily review. There are also fact practice on the teacher help CD.

Thinking outside the box:

My dd was having trouble last year so we stopped using a curriculum. Instead I used Maximim Math for the list of skills she needed and we did daily math playing. It took the pressure off and allowed her to absorb and learn the skills needed plus gave her confidence with out the workbooks to bog her down. She excelled. We did do a daily fact page (10 fact problems I timed her own and she tried to beat her own record).

We are back to using a curriculum (BJU and and old Math textbook for oral work) but she is a different math kid now. She needed the break to mature and absorb. Maybe this approach could help. (I can give more detail if interested, Pm me)

This is another vote for Math U See! the way the DVD teaches makes so much sense and is extremely easy to understand. I hear people say that there isn't enough review but I just don't find that to be true. There is review of all previous concepts all through the book, but it does focus on one skill at a time and urge you to practice to mastery. There is a drill page online if you need more as well as free printable sheets for each lesson. It has been wonderfully effective, and it does go all the way through calculus. Also, the lessons have been updated over the last couple years and are even more user friendly.