Menu

Megawords for 7th grade?

It's hard to figure out where to place just by grade- but it looks like Megawords 4 would typically be for 7th graders. You might take a look at the words in the various levels and it might help you where to place your dc.

Also, Megawords does have an formal assessment book you can buy, but it's around $30.

We're not using MW yet b/c typically you would begin no earlier than 4th grade, but it's high on our list for down the road.

Hope this helps!

Paula

I began Megawords with my dd in 6th grade, starting with Book 1. She finished both Book 1 and Book 2, and began a bit of Book 3 in that one year. She also previously completed the Wilson Language program, which is OG-based, so the concepts in Book 1 were review for her.

I suggest you take a look at the concepts taught in each book, and make your decision based on your dc's prior knowledge. That said, I don't think I would skip more than Book 1, and that only if your dc is very familiar with syllabication rules already.

I would probably recommend that you work through all the books, but skip some exercises (there are a lot of exercises for each word list, and we don't usually do every last one). Breeze through the concepts she already knows or grasps very quickly, so you can spend more time on new ones. This way, you will know you covered everything and didn't leave any gaps.

HTH,

I began Megawords with my dd in 6th grade, starting with Book 1. She finished both Book 1 and Book 2, and began a bit of Book 3 in that one year. She also previously completed the Wilson Language program, which is OG-based, so the concepts in Book 1 were review for her.

I suggest you take a look at the concepts taught in each book, and make your decision based on your dc's prior knowledge. That said, I don't think I would skip more than Book 1, and that only if your dc is very familiar with syllabication rules already.

I would probably recommend that you work through all the books, but skip some exercises (there are a lot of exercises for each word list, and we don't usually do every last one). Breeze through the concepts she already knows or grasps very quickly, so you can spend more time on new ones. This way, you will know you covered everything and didn't leave any gaps.

HTH,

Did your dd do megawords everyday? Thanks for helping!

Honestly, I would not skip any of the Megawords books. I would start with book 1 since it covers all of the rules of syllabication and is the foundation for the rest of the books. The lessons are easy enough to double up on. You could also do year round as well.

So, I'll use this for my 7th grader but would my dd 4th grader be too young? Should I wait until we are finished with AAS before starting Megawords?

Thanks!

So, I'll use this for my 7th grader but would my dd 4th grader be too young? Should I wait until we are finished with AAS before starting Megawords?

Thanks!

IMHO, I would probably wait until 5th grade to start. If you are still working through AAS, then she needs all the basic rules that apply to single-syllable words before she goes in depth applying them to longer words.

By starting in 5th, she can do 2 books a year and finish before HS, but that's just me.

IMHO, I would probably wait until 5th grade to start. If you are still working through AAS, then she needs all the basic rules that apply to single-syllable words before she goes in depth applying them to longer words.

By starting in 5th, she can do 2 books a year and finish before HS, but that's just me.

Thank you! You have been a load of help.:001_smile:

My dds started Megawords in 7th-grade. I am glad we started in book 1 as I was able to see what they had missed in their reading instruction. And we were able to get through the first 2 books from January through May. We most likely will finish book 3 over the summer working a few days a week.

My dds started Megawords in 7th-grade. I am glad we started in book 1 as I was able to see what they had missed in their reading instruction. And we were able to get through the first 2 books from January through May. We most likely will finish book 3 over the summer working a few days a week.

This is great to know! Did you buy the Teacher Guide to go along with the student editions? Thanks for sharing.

• 2 years later...