Menu

My Father's World Question

I guess everyone has an opinion one what's expensive, b/c IMO My Father's World isn't expensive compared to other curriculums, like Sonlight which costs like $800. I haven't used MFW, but I've looked into it. It looks like you can buy just the basics, and try to buy the others used or on Amazon. But the prices on Amazon are comparable to the prices on MFW's website.

OP,

The last several years it has been hard for me to buy lit programs no matter how reasonably priced. Yet this is how we learn best. As much as I would like to support the authors more, my praise of their curriculum will have to do for now. I always start hunting the for sale and trade boards. Check out thrift stores. And when going to Amazon check out the used Market Place items. But I only use Market Place for the higher priced items because it does not pay to pay $4 shipping and 1 cent for a book that normally cost $5 new. It can take a little while to find all the items you need (if you don't find someone selling the whole package), but you can save a LOT of money.

The used boards I go to are

~~the one here

~~homeschoolclassifieds

~~vegsource

~~homeschoolreviews

ETA:

Once you decide if you really like MFW and want to continue with it, you can start doing searches for the next year's books ahead of time. This will give you time to find the best value. I keep a running list of the chapter and picture books that I will need in my purse. When I go to thrift stores I don't forget to look.

Edited by Susie in MS

OP,

The last several years it has been hard for me to buy lit programs no matter how reasonably priced. Yet this is how we learn best. As much as I would like to support the authors more, my praise of their curriculum will have to do for now. I always start hunting the for sale and trade boards. Check out thrift stores. And when going to Amazon check out the used Market Place items. But I only use Market Place for the higher priced items because it does not pay to pay $4 shipping and 1 cent for a book that normally cost $5 new. It can take a little while to find all the items you need (if you don't find someone selling the whole package), but you can save a LOT of money.

The used boards I go to are

~~the one here

~~homeschoolclassifieds

~~vegsource

~~homeschoolreviews

ETA:

Once you decide if you really like MFW and want to continue with it, you can start doing searches for the next year's books ahead of time. This will give you time to find the best value. I keep a running list of the chapter and picture books that I will need in my purse. When I go to thrift stores I don't forget to look.

Thank you so much!

So, $200+ for just history is reasonable? I was thinking it was expensive for only one subject.

Actually it is if you are buying the books. MFW and others like Sonlight use real books and are literature based (as opposed to a textbook) so it is expensive, but you get a lot of books. Many people are able to use a library, but even with the MFW package, for me buying the extra books or using a library would be necessary.

History ends up being the bulk of our curriculum budget. But, it is worth it imho! ;)

If the cost is prohibitive for you, definitely check those sites mentioned to buy used!