Menu

Who skips TT Pre Algebra

Ds has about five lessons left in TT 7. I received Pre Algebra today and I think he could easily skip most of it. I typically let him do the quizzes/tests up to a point that he can no longer a score 90% or higher. I read a few older threads that said TT states that you can skip pre algebra. Anyone go from TT to Algebra 1?

My son skipped the pre-algebra. He went straight from TT7 to Algebra 1. He is doing great with it. I do think that the pre-algebra has a lot of what was taught in the TT7. I had my ds take the placement test and he tested into Algebra 1 so we went with it. I think that if your son places in to Algebra 1 then he would be just fine with it :)

We didn't skip it because I already had it on hand, but my 13yo did skip the first 10 chapters (in the older version). It was going to be torture for him to have to go through all that again after TT7. He felt like it was all review and he wanted to move on to something new. If I hadn't already had the curriculum, I would have seriously considered skipping pre-algebra altogether. There was only one topic that we had to go back and cover from those first 10 chapters.

IIRC prior threads have discussed pre-algebra often being a place to camp out for kids who aren't quite ready for algebra.

I agree with a PP who suggested giving him the placement test and see if he tests straight into Algebra. You could also compare the TOCs to see if the latter pre-algebra chapters correspond to the early algebra chapters.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not have mine skip PreAlg.from TT7. She did skip some problem sets in early chapters.

Ihave both TT PreAlg and TT Alg complete sets good condition w/ no writing in books. If anyone is interested. Asking $149ppd or $80each.