Menu

Book ideas for 9th grade and college...

I can't seem to find any books to tell me what my 9th grader should know

by the end of next year. I know there was that whole series about "What Your ..... Needs To Know", but I can't find anything like it. Any suggestions?

Also I want to get some kind of idea what is required for my son to have learned by the end of high school before he starts college. Any book ideas for this?

Thanks once again!:)

Have you read The Well-Trained Mind? Here is a list:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/great-books/

In ninth grade my eldest dd read:

Gilgamesh

A Day in Old Athens

The Iliad

Oedipus Rex and Antigone

Medea

The Birds

The Republic (parts of it)

A Day in Old Rome

The Aeneid

Metamorphoses

and certain books of The Bible

She had already read The Odyssey.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I think in High School, different things are required depending on what is going to happen after graduation. In addition to the WTM, there are books out there that help plan high school. I'm reading this right now and there are a few chapters that discuss reading material by grade level.

Also I want to get some kind of idea what is required for my son to have learned by the end of high school before he starts college. Any book ideas for this?

No book ideas, but checking the websites of colleges to see their admissions requirements should give you a pretty good idea (make sure to check schools in the range of what your son is interested; Harvard has different demands than your local state U)

Here is a link to the general education requirements for high school graduation in the state of NY. If your son were going to school, it is the minimum he would be required to have taken to graduate.

But I agree with everyone else. I'd start with TWTM and look at college entrance requirements.