Menu

I'm sure this has been asked, but: if you have left SWR and went to a workbook....

KIN

Here's something to consider:

How to Teach Spelling with the wkbks How to Spell

This program is based on the same Orton Gillingham research but applies it a bit differently. It uses workbooks and lots of oral/written dictation. You could probably utilize the methods from SWR within this prgm too.

sold at EPS, CBD, homeschooling supply co.

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=1847M

hth

I have found that Zaner Bloser Spelling Connections has lists based on the phonograms. So for example ai/ay words are in the same week. The rules are not clearly stated but I have heard that Easy Grammar does a good job of covering those after 5th grade (I think). This is the plan I am following now but I do not have enough time with it to prove it will work.:)

I made my own workbooks for SWR. I made charts and activities based on the enrichment ideas listed in the sidelines of the WISE guide. We are going to focus on 1 list per week and use the pages to really get to know those words. I've only made pages through list M so far but plan on finishing up pages to go with the entire list.:001_smile:

AAs isn't really a workbook in the sense that the child is handed a book and writes in it, doing exercises and learning more independently. It does break down the steps in SWR so I would define it maybe as a workbook for the Mom to follow while doing a program similar to SWR.

Just wanted to make sure the OP knew that there really isn't a "workbook" in AAS in the traditional sense.

This year to simplify my life some, I am planning on using the dictation and cards but with the R & S spelling words. I plan on using two days for dictation and then letting my 2nd grader do the 'workbook' the next two days and then doing the quiz on friday.

I have no idea how it is going to work or if it is going to work but I'm going to give it a try. That would free up two days where I normally would spend dictating. Plus I agree with the above poster that the words in the upper lists have no correlation to a younger student and thus not as much retention and the R &S Spelling words are 'easier' words that are used more at her level.

Just an idea I had that we are going to try. If it does work then I may use the workbooks all the way through or I may try something else altogether. Who knows!;)