Menu

We now have fish -- how often to feed them?

Our kids now have four goldfish and a beta (in different bowls). I'm finding conflicting advice on how often to feed them. The amount seems consistent -- no more than they will eat in a few minutes -- but I'm reading we should feed them anywhere from once every couple days to multiple times each day. Any experience?

Thanks!

No more than once a day. Multiple times a day will pollute the water. You do not have to feed them daily but if they are eating each others fins feed more often. Yuk!

Eeeeew! I guess cannibalism would be a big clue they're hungry, eh?

Thanks for the info!

Eeeeew! I guess cannibalism would be a big clue they're hungry, eh?

Thanks for the info!

Furthermore, the betta needs more than dry fish food. He needs meat. Frozen brine shrimp is good; you just keep it in the freezer and break off a tiny little bit (he'll learn to come nibble it off your finger after awhile). He can also eat little bits of raw hamburger.

Furthermore, the betta needs more than dry fish food. He needs meat. Frozen brine shrimp is good; you just keep it in the freezer and break off a tiny little bit (he'll learn to come nibble it off your finger after awhile). He can also eat little bits of raw hamburger.

I checked the food she got at the pet store. It is specifically betta fish food and it does have brine shrimp and krill in it -- does he need even more than that? They didn't say anything about raw meat at the store. :confused: