Menu

My Derecho Story

We are still sitting without power at our home, but fortunately we have a place we can stay to wait out the heat. The storm really freaked me out and I couldn't shake it, so I wrote about it!

Here is my Derecho story--while not very scary in the long run compared to lots of other stories out there, I was a nervous wreck in the thick of it!

Hope you enjoy!

http://cakeinthemorn.hubpages.com/hub/Surviving-the-Derecho?done

That is really, really scary. I live in an area where basically nothing happens.

Where is that? I didn't think that kind of place existed. ;)

We were lucky here not to lose power for more than a minute or so, but that is the exception not the rule, because we too have overhead lines [bGE not Pepco though]. There are many in my neighborhood who do not have power though. Hubby was inspired to check our generator though and make sure it is ready to go. It's big enough to run the comps and the fridge enough so things won't have to be thrown out, and can run the furnace [which is gas but has an electric starter].

But I think the lessons have having emergency stuff ready and in a designated space is a great idea. Adding it to my to-do list.

I love your comparison of the storm to the Nothing! That was one of my favorite movies growing up.

We live in Fairfax and fared very well compared to many others. Our big problem was that we were supposed to have ds's birthday party at our neighborhood pool on Saturday, but had to have it at our house. Apparently you can't open a pool if you can't call 911. :glare: Ds was very disappointed.

It WAS scary! Sheesh. We are actually down in Fairfax now at my sister in laws, in a place with tons of overhanging power lines, but I guess they were in a small pocket of calm as the storm passed through. What a mess! We are blessed to have a refuge--I couldn't imagine trying to wait this thing out with my kiddos and no food at hand that I KNOW is safe for my PA kid. I will be happy when we are back home snugs as bugs in rugs.

Seattle area. Yep, nothing much in the way of horrible weather or natural disaster. I mean, it has happened in history but this is not a stormy area. We may have one really strong wind in the winter and several out of power for a short time, but not much happens. Our home has never lost power in the almost 5 years we have lived here. Same with our last home, only a flicker once or twice.

Yeah--we are STILL without power. Clean up is just starting on our street and traffic lights are still out all over the place. What a mess! Yesterday I had to drive around the beltway at normal rush hour to get my kids to gymnastics from where we are hiding out in VA, and there was NO ONE ON THE ROAD..no one. I think there were 4 cars on 495 as I passed Tyson's Corner. That is unheard of.