Menu

Anyone here with experience with American Heritage Girls? Comparison w/ Pioneer Girls

What has your experience been with American Heritage Girls?

What is taught about the relationship between Christianity and America?

Is there such a thing as "___ Heritage Girls"? ie is this a scouting program that could be adapted by a group of girls in another country? Could there be "Kenyan Heritage Girls" or "Mexican Heritage Girls?"

Can anyone compare American Heritage Girls to Pioneer Girls?

I've taught at both Pioneer Girls and American Heritage Girls. American Heritage Girls is a much more organized, professional, put-together club, but that also means it's much more top-down.

There isn't a "Heritage Girls" for other countries. AHG is a midwest-based club, so it's for the US and as far as I know has no other spinoffs.

I do like its organization and cohesiveness, but with that comes higher costs. It costs *a lot* more to be part of AHG than Pioneer Girls. The uniform and the dues to the national program (money that has to be sent away and does not stay local) plus the money the local club needs to do their thing all add up to quite a bit, particularly compared to PG.

It's been a few years now since I've been involved, but it was a patriotic program without that being all it was about. It was certainly a Christian program at core, but I imagine that the extent to which Christianity is woven (and patriotism beyond saying the pledge at the beginning & having to learn basic citizenry for your first badge) in is mostly dependent on the local teachers and club. The club provides the materials, but how they are taught and implemented will still vary on a club and individual teacher level. There is no teacher script.

We have been involved with AHG off and on (depending on of there was a group where we moved) since 2005. There is a heavy emphasis on patriotism. There is an emphasis on Christianity (most meet at churches). But, I would not say that the two are woven together, at least not in our group.

We have been involved with AHG off and on (depending on of there was a group where we moved) since 2005. There is a heavy emphasis on patriotism. There is an emphasis on Christianity (most meet at churches). But, I would not say that the two are woven together, at least not in our group.

Thanks for answering, Mrs. Mungo! Could you expand on what is taught about patriotism?

I've taught at both Pioneer Girls and American Heritage Girls. American Heritage Girls is a much more organized, professional, put-together club, but that also means it's much more top-down.

There isn't a "Heritage Girls" for other countries. AHG is a midwest-based club, so it's for the US and as far as I know has no other spinoffs.

I do like its organization and cohesiveness, but with that comes higher costs. It costs *a lot* more to be part of AHG than Pioneer Girls. The uniform and the dues to the national program (money that has to be sent away and does not stay local) plus the money the local club needs to do their thing all add up to quite a bit, particularly compared to PG.

It's been a few years now since I've been involved, but it was a patriotic program without that being all it was about. It was certainly a Christian program at core, but I imagine that the extent to which Christianity is woven (and patriotism beyond saying the pledge at the beginning & having to learn basic citizenry for your first badge) in is mostly dependent on the local teachers and club. The club provides the materials, but how they are taught and implemented will still vary on a club and individual teacher level. There is no teacher script.

Thanks very much for answering. What I was wondering about was whether it was anything along the lines of "America was founded as a Christian nation, to be a "city on a hill" and we need to get it back to its Christian roots," sort of making patriotism to the US a different/more godly thing for a scout than say, patriotism to France would be for a little girl living in France. In other words, there is a "good citizenship" taught in the Bible that would be applicable in whatever country one resided , with one's highest allegiance reserved for being a citizen of the kingdom of God and one's attitude to be one of doing good in the land one is living. "Patriotism" can sometimes mean the "doing good in the land in which one is living" or it could mean something that is akin to putting allegiance to country on equal footing with allegiance to kingdom.

Edited by Laurie4b

We love AHG! There is a bit of patriotism, such as saying the pledge, learning how to care for the flag, etc. The Christianity is very "basic". They stick to the things that nearly every Christian can agree on, mostly that Jesus is God's son and salvation comes through Jesus. Of course there are prayers at every meeting. The only thing that discusses Christianity and American history/patriotism is in a couple of the badges.

I don't know if that helps any or not. If I can help with any other questions, feel free to message me.

Thanks very much for answering. What I was wondering about was whether it was anything along the lines of "America was founded as a Christian nation, to be a "city on a hill" and we need to get it back to its Christian roots," sort of making patriotism to the US a different/more godly thing for a scout than say, patriotism to France would be for a little girl living in France.

It might say somewhere in the handbook that says Am was founded as a Christian nation, but there's not a political agenda in anything I have seen. Several of the badges deal with Am. history and civics/government, but they don't really deal with current politics ("getting back to Christian roots"). I don't think you would find anything objectionable if that is your only concern.

No, the patriotism is more along the lines of citizenry than "America is extra-special and chosen by God" variety. I don't remember anything along those lines. It was more focused on service to community and military and things like flag etiquette.

No, the patriotism is more along the lines of citizenry than "America is extra-special and chosen by God" variety. I don't remember anything along those lines. It was more focused on service to community and military and things like flag etiquette.

:iagree: Rebecca just moved up to Explorers and Sylvia is a Tenderheart.

It might say somewhere in the handbook that says Am was founded as a Christian nation, but there's not a political agenda in anything I have seen. Several of the badges deal with Am. history and civics/government, but they don't really deal with current politics ("getting back to Christian roots"). I don't think you would find anything objectionable if that is your only concern.

I agree. We would not participate if it had that flavor.