Menu

Singapore Math Manipulatives

DiannaC

We are beginning K5 this year and are starting with Earlybird B & then moving on to 1A in Singapore math. What manipulatives do you need with Singapore? They have a few things listed on their website, but what is essential? Thanks!

We finished 1a&b this past year. We used... my brain is mush... base ten blocks, counters of varied types, cuisinaire rods, number line, and a 100s chart. Now, I see that you are only asking about 1a. I might be listing some stuff (like the 100s chart) that are only used in 1b. Oh, only for 1b, play money, both bills and coins. Well, I used play bills and real coins. I have several dollars in coins that we keep for math.

Cuisenaire rods are great -- most of the activities in the HIG can be adapted to use them. With the c-rods, I used the Base-10 flats. I found it handy to have a laminated 100 chart and fun counters (M&Ms work). I did end up using a balance a couple of times to help my girls understand mass as well as learn about equations and inequalities.

Thanks for the recommendations! Is there at HIG for the Earlybird books? The only thing I have seen is a Teacher's Instructor Guide & I don't want to buy something for the classroom.

Have you already purchased EB? Essential Math is closer to the Primary Math series and doesn't require a teacher guide (instructions to teacher are at the bottom of the page). The workbooks are cheaper to boot. :)

We mostly used unifix cubes. I would also get a balance as that chapter in 1A is so fun. (I got lucky and was able to borrow one)

We also used household items as counters - there are a ton of options and edible stuff is a nice treat. :)

Have you already purchased EB? Essential Math is closer to the Primary Math series and doesn't require a teacher guide (instructions to teacher are at the bottom of the page). The workbooks are cheaper to boot. :)

I haven't bought it yet, because I'm trying to find it used. I looked at the Essential Math, but was unsure if it would be as good as EB. What is the main difference? I borrowed a friend's EB A & B and after looking through it, I know my ds already knows all of A & I don't think it will take him long to go through B.

My son uses Legos for everything. Place value? Legos. Fractions? Legos. Weights and measures? Legos. Multiplcation and division? Legos.

Sometimes I wonder if he's just using math as an excuse to play with his Legos, especilly when the Leaning Tower of Tens falls over during subtraction.

My son uses Legos for everything. Place value? Legos. Fractions? Legos. Weights and measures? Legos. Multiplcation and division? Legos.

Sometimes I wonder if he's just using math as an excuse to play with his Legos, especilly when the Leaning Tower of Tens falls over during subtraction.

Isn't that funny?! DS does the same thing on his own. He made up math problems to solve using his Clone army set up and told me he is done with math for the day :lol: