Menu

Anyone lost taste and smell for extended time?

I lost mine almost three months ago when I had a bad case of the flu, and I'm getting frustrated. The drs seem mystified which doesn't make me feel any better. Earlier something fell in the diswasher and I didn't notice until I saw smoke. :glare: Not being able to taste bugs me, but I now think losing smell is worse.

Anyone lost theirs for a while and had it come back? Did it come back on its own or did you do something?

I lost mine almost three months ago when I had a bad case of the flu, and I'm getting frustrated. The drs seem mystified which doesn't make me feel any better. Earlier something fell in the diswasher and I didn't notice until I saw smoke. :glare: Not being able to taste bugs me, but I now think losing smell is worse.

Anyone lost theirs for a while and had it come back? Did it come back on its own or did you do something?

I've lost my smeller-it happened about 3 years ago after spending some time with my dad who is a smoker. He never hotboxed the house or the car or anything, but I guess it was enough. I have to be on top of something to smell it. :-( Which has been a problem once or twice while I was baking.

I wish I could be of more help, but I haven't gotten back yet.

Edited by LunaLee

That happened to my uncle after an illness. Then 2 years later it suddenly came back. I hope that yours comes back too, quickly.

I also know someone who lost hers, she believes due to her parents' smoking. 40 years later, hers has never come back. She is rail skinny, perhaps because she doesn't know how good food is! :)

That happened to my uncle after an illness. Then 2 years later it suddenly came back. I hope that yours comes back too, quickly.

I also know someone who lost hers, she believes due to her parents' smoking. 40 years later, hers has never come back. She is rail skinny, perhaps because she doesn't know how good food is! :)

That's the one good thing! I can't taste anything, so I don't care what I eat and I'm eating healthier. I'm also finding that I'm eating several times a day, but just enough not to feel hungry. I thinks this is why the taste thing isn't bothering me as much now, but the smell is very frustrating. My dh came home last week and said the house smelled horrible. There was something in the trash and I had no idea. :blushing: