Menu

New Mattress - what should I know? Any opinions?

Our mattress is for the dogs after 17 years of wear. I hate it and plan to replace it this summer. I have checked out some mattresses and I think I really like the Beautyrest type with a pillow top. I don't have a clue about mattresses, though. It needs to not be many thousands of dollars.

Also, does anyone know if you can get a free-standing platform to use in addition to or instead of a boxspring? And how this actually works? Our bed is on the cheap metal frame thing and it sags in the center badly. (It is a King.) I want to prevent this with our new mattress, but I don't want to buy an entirely new bed.

The biggest advice I have is to not use the mattress right away but rather put it somewhere away from your living space to outgas for a few weeks to a month or two. Otherwise you'll be breathing in all the chemicals in a bad way and it can make you feel sick (at least it does to me).

FWIW, we've been really happy with our IKEA mattresses.

You may want to rethink that. We got a lovely pillow top about 12 years ago. Within six months, it had HUGE troughs on either side, where we sleep, and a hump in the middle, despite monthly turning/flipping. Much worse than the 25 yo mattress it replaced.

They wouldn't take it back. The troughs were not deep enough. They had to be 3". :glare:

Make sure, whatever you buy, you have the terms of return spelled out, in written detail. What they tell you in the store is almost never what the actual warranty is.

Our next mattress will likely be from Ikea. We bought the kids wool mattresses from White Lotus Home and have been pleased with those, too. Bonus: no off gassing.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

DON'T spend a huge amount on a supposedly fantastic mattress. This is what we did, and it is hot and slopes to the edges after a year. We spent so much that replacing it in under 10yrs would just be offensive. On the other hand, the kids have the cheapest sprung Ikea mattresses, and I regularly sleep on one in ds's room -3years later it is still going strong, and if it wasn't, we could easily replace it.

I woke up rolling towards the edge of the bed this morning, and am feeling rather cranky!

You may want to rethink that. We got a lovely pillow top about 12 years ago. Within six months, it had HUGE troughs on either side, where we sleep, and a hump in the middle, despite monthly turning/flipping. Much worse than the 25 yo mattress it replaced.

Yes! This is what happened to ours - we have some sort of gel top, rather than the pillow top, but the same end result.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: We're never getting another pillowtop! Although my husband still likes it :confused:

Hmmmm. Really? (About the pillowtop?) I have serious reservations about IKEA; I wouldn't have even given it a moment's consideration, until you guys said this. I'm definitely expecting something to last no less than 15 years.

DON'T spend a huge amount on a supposedly fantastic mattress. This is what we did, and it is hot and slopes to the edges after a year. We spent so much that replacing it in under 10yrs would just be offensive. On the other hand, the kids have the cheapest sprung Ikea mattresses, and I regularly sleep on one in ds's room -3years later it is still going strong, and if it wasn't, we could easily replace it.

I woke up rolling towards the edge of the bed this morning, and am feeling rather cranky!

Yes!! We just got a 4" memory foam (polyurethane, I'm allergic to latex) topper from Overstock. It conforms to the $&@! troughs and looks God-awful, but is much better to sleep on. Because I refuse to buy another billion dollar craptastic mattress. :glare:

Yes!! We just got a 4" memory foam (polyurethane, I'm allergic to latex) topper from Overstock. It conforms to the $&@! troughs and looks God-awful, but is much better to sleep on. Because I refuse to buy another billion dollar craptastic mattress. :glare:

Does this go under the sheets, on top of the mattress?