Menu

Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy

raristy

I'm looking into a good science curriculum for my 4th grader. He has expressed interest in Astronomy.

If you have used Apologia Astronomy, what did you like and didn't like? Any highlights of your experience? any downsides of this Astronomy book?

Please let me know.Thanks a lot,

Rosa

We used it when the dc were in 3rd, 2nd, and K. We really enjoyed it; I don't think we had any dislikes. We just read the book and did the activities as we came to them. It was a baby year for us, so we kept it simple. If I were to use the book with a 4th grader (and I might someday, so that my youngers have a chance to use it too!) I would definitely add the notebooking journal. We used the Botany notebooking journal this year and the dc really enjoyed it. It helped them to remember what they were learning and made a nice keepsake of the course.

:bigear: I am planning on purchasing this for my crew. I can't decide if I want the junior notebooking journal or the regular journal for my 4th graders.. Prolly the regular and get the junior journals for my twin gals.

Anyone buy the lab package or do with out it?

We didn't end up using Astronomy becuase it was too young earth but it was written well and very informational. I agree with pp to get the notebooking journal and then you can buy the experiment kit from CBD.com and they have everything you need for the experiments broken in to bags and jars by week or lesson. We did that with Human Anatomy and it was well worth the price.

:bigear: I am planning on purchasing this for my crew. I can't decide if I want the junior notebooking journal or the regular journal for my 4th graders.. Prolly the regular and get the junior journals for my twin gals.

Anyone buy the lab package or do with out it?

The regular journal should be fine for a 4th grader. My 3rd and 4th graders used the regular Botany journal this year. A junior version wasn't available (not sure if it's out yet now or not) so my 1st grader just listened.

When we did astronomy, we did without the lab package and it was still very easy to complete the activities. The kits are nice to have if you want absolutely everything already gathered and sorted by lesson for you. If that's the only way you'll get the activities done, then the kits are great to have. So, you'll just have to figure out what will work best for you.

Loved it!! Very interesting. My only complaint might be that it's just a lot to cover / read. Oh, and there's some young earth stuff that we don't agree with (we are Christians so I like the marveling at God's creation aspect, but I would just skip the few paragraphs about how to disprove Old Earthers. :lol: I didn't find it a big pain at ALL since it was literally only now and then and not intermingled throughout). Love the narrative style. Love the pictures.

I didn't use the notebook because my kids were a bit young for all that writing at the time. We just use a spiral bound notebook for our Apologia Botany "science notebook."

If your child likes experiments, I would definitely buy the lab kit from CBD.com. And if you're a planner, get the $6.00 daily lesson plans from CBD.com as well. When I first used this book I didn't realize they existed and I so wish I did! I've used them for the Botany book and they are a life-saver (and cheap)!!