Menu

Singapore math 3a question and multiplication facts

My dd is currently about 2/3 through Singapore 3a. She doesn't have her multiplication facts memorized. Somehow I missed that this was supposed to be done by now. She can skip count by every number 1-12, but I don't want her relying on skip counting. We stopped doing math lessons and I have had her working on drills and different things to master her times tables. She is at 4's right now. Should I haver her continue working in her book (She would be on double digit multiplication and division with 6's)? She would have to skip count to get her answers. She understands the process of long division and multi digit multiplication, but not sure if I should continue any further until her facts are down. Any opinions?

CS

Keep going. The bother of skip counting might just help with the memorizing. :)

FWIW, I count fact practice as a separate subject from "math."

Keep going. Practice multiplication tables on the side. My son enjoyed the 5 minute drills from math-drills.com. He learned them quickly with those. I'd give one table at a time, and told him to not worry about finishing the page. I also told him to skip the ones he didn't know right away. Then after completing the 5 minutes, I went over the page, asking him any he got wrong or skipped. After doing 3x8 orally in quick succession so many times, he had it down pat. :)

Eventually, it will be easier to memorize the facts than to skip count each one. ;)

I think I'm in the minority among homeschoolers, but I recommend not *memorizing* times tables until 4-5th grade. I think skip-counting the answers out and using other strategies is great practice for building number sense. To give an idea of the "other strategies" your child can learn, check out my times table series of blog posts:

Keep going, yes!! BUT also keep working on those times tables because you need them to quickly work through everything from division to fractions, decimals, etc. Try different approaches for memorizing them, but work on it deliberately in tandem with your regular SM lesson.