Menu

How do you schedule required reading?

allymom

I have not done any required reading in previous years as my girls have been struggling readers and have taken a long time to really get to the point that they could handle a required reading list. They will be 2nd and 4th grade, both at least a year behind in reading level. We don't use a reading program, but we do use MFW which has a recommended reading list at the back for each grade level. I was trying to decide if I should schedule them so that they for sure get done. Or if I should just require them to read a certain amount each week, they could pick from their list. So, for example, my 2nd grader would be reading picture books still, so 2 books each week seems reasonable. My 4th grader is reading easy chapter books like Boxcar Children, so 1 a month with a certain amount of reading each day/week would be reasonable.

How do you all handle required reading? I've been letting them pick from the library, but I don't always like their choices, nor are they always grade level appropriate and then they don't get read. I don't mind still letting them pick 1 or 2 books not on the list, but I think I'd like to make a require list that needs checked off completely by the end of the year.

Until they were ready to read chapter books on their own, I had required reading time with me, and we did a lot of buddy reading (they read a sentence, I read a sentence, or when we go to longer things, they read a paragraph, I read a page or two, etc...). I kept a basket that had easier and harder books in it and let them choose. If they wanted to re-read a book (especially at the first-second grade level), I let them a couple of times. Then I moved that book to a reading nook that they could read from in their spare time. I didn't try to schedule out books or decide how long it should take, we just kept progressing together.

We use Sonlight so I use their readers for selections, but I don't follow the schedule exactly and don't worry if we drop a book here & there. The kids read most of them. I schedule 30 minutes for reading time and just give them the next book. If I'm going to need to drop one, I might give them a choice between a couple of books. They have assigned school reading but can read whatever they want in free time, library books etc...

I never worry about how easy the library books are. Easy books have many benefits: They increase fluency and comprehension, reading speed, confidence, and enjoyment. You don't want kids always working at the edge of their ability level, it's too frustrating and slow-going. That's why it's really important to mix in easier books when they are still learning to read.

HTH! Merry :-)

When my son was in the "learning to read phase", I had two reading times during the school day. One was assigned reading of a book that was at or just pushing a tad above his reading level. I assigned this book by amount (sometimes a chapter per day when he was reasonably comfortable with chapter books). I had a second reading time where he could pick from anything in the library book basket. This had books I had selected (and some he had selected), many of which were below his reading level. That helped get him interested in reading and helped with fluency.

While I did have a list of books to read throughout the year, I did NOT have any expectation that we would finish every single one by the end of the year. I just went down the list as we got to them. If a book took longer or shorter, no problem. There are plenty more books to read if we run out. :D I tried to pick books he would enjoy. Some he actually didn't (like Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan) and some he LOVED and read multiple times (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Homer Price). He's not much of a fiction kid, as I learned, though he's starting to enjoy it more as he reads Star Wars books and such. :tongue_smilie:

My next son is not reading real books yet, but when he does, I plan to do the same thing again. For now, we're doing 10 minutes of reading practice per day (all he can take - it's very hard work for him), and I plan to gradually increase that to 15 minutes, then 20. When reading "clicks", we'll start the required reading thing - one at or pushing current reading level, and one below reading level. Again, I'm not worried about number of books read. I'm more concerned with him practicing reading every single day.

My kids have required reading for 30 minutes each day and an additional 15 minutes where they read aloud. I don't have a specific time to finish a book- they just read until they are done and move to the next book. I sat down with each child that is reading on their own and made a list of books to read for the year. We used Memoria Press, Veritas Press, Sonlight, HOD, and MFW catalogs to get good book suggestions. I don't care what order they read them in, and they are happy with the books since they were able to help choose them. I'm afraid of what they would chose on their own if I set them loose in the library!

Mine each have a shelf they may choose from for literature time. I stock that shelf with books that I've personally chosen for each child. Their strong interests do sway my choices somewhat, but most of those books are just good literature that are appropriate for their reading levels.

For actual scheduling I just ask that they read something from that shelf for a particular amount of minutes on a daily basis. My rising second and fourth graders are both strong readers and have been in chapter books for some time now. They generally read in thirty minute spurts. My upper logic stage kids generally read for an hour (and often more on their own time).

My youngest was also a struggling reader and just made it grade level this year. When he was in 4th grade he had 30 minutes assigned reading time. We use TOG but he was reading Pathway readers at that time.

I would most likely schedule a certain amount of time to read each day and then move on to the next book like Merry mentioned.

How do you all handle required reading? I've been letting them pick from the library, but I don't always like their choices, nor are they always grade level appropriate and then they don't get read. I don't mind still letting them pick 1 or 2 books not on the list, but I think I'd like to make a require list that needs checked off completely by the end of the year.

One we complete phonics, I assign a certain number of pages of required reading daily during elementary from books of my choosing. Depending on the reading level of the child that could either be reading aloud with or to me or reading alone and then narrating to me what happened. The time generally starts at 10-15 minutes and slowly increases to about 30 minutes at the end of the elementary years.

I also set aside a second period of time after lunch for free reading. These are generally books that the kids get to pick. When they are younger, I sometimes help them with their book selections a little. (Hey, you enjoyed that frog and toad book last week. Would you like to read another one or a different on by the same author?) I've been known to add a couple of my own choices to their basket of choices to make sure they have some appropriate books. HTH