Menu

Portfolio frustration (PA)

We are moving to Texas in 9 days. My HS evaluator told me that I should set up an appointment to have our portfolio looked at so that we don't leave it behind.

So, I called the Superintendent's office. The secretary directed me to the principal of one of the elementary schools who supposedly deals with all the homeschoolers. Of course, when I called there, no one answered. I found his email online, and wrote him, asking for an appointment.

The man responded once, he offered to help, but said he didn't know of us, and asked who approved us int he beginning of the year. I replied and told him that we moved mid-year and that I had a applied for a letter of transfer, and that I have a copy of it. Again, I asked for an appointment.

He never replied.

This was a week ago. I'm so tempted to just forget the whole thing. I shouldn't have to beg someone to look at our stinking portfolio. And apparently, no one has any record of us being in this school district anyway.

Awww, sorry to see you go, "neighbor"... but whomever you spoke to obviously doesn't know the PA law anyway- you don't get "approved" to homeschool.

If you're really concerned about tying everything up, mail to the school district a very few photocopied samples (1-2 each from the basic subjects, ink-saver setting, double sided) and your reading log, along with a copy of your evaluation report, 3rd grade test results (if applicable), and letter of transfer. Let them know you're moving out-of-state, and request that they return by mail or destroy your portfolio. And don't give them originals.

Blessings in your new home!

Just forget about it. This sort of stuff makes me CRAZY. We already have to jump through hoops in PA...shouldn't have to jump through more. Document the calls you made (write down date and time) and that there was NO response. You tried. Just goes to show you how CRUCIAL those portfolios are. :glare: