Menu

Something like History Pockets for the Middle Ages?

ljensen1

We're just finishing up Ancient History - used Guest Hollow's Ancient History with SOTW as our spine. That included doing History Pockets for Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome. My daughter loved them!

I can't find anything similar for the Middle Ages. I want something crafty she can do that doesn't need to involve me (she did the History Pockets on her own while I read to everyone). I've got some resources for just drawing or coloring, but she would like something that includes some simple crafts. History Pocket crafts usually involved coloring, cutting and gluing or taping - nothing too elaborate.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

I've been on the same search! I actually posted a similar question a while back and didn't get much. So far, I've found this book

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Knights-Damsels-Activity-Guide/dp/1556522916/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340307683&sr=8-3&keywords=activity+guide+for+the+medieval+times

And another called An Activity Guide for Medieval Times which I can't seem to find online at the moment.

There are great Dover coloring books and paper dolls but I can't find similar pocket type activites with vocabulary, cut/paste etc.

Good luck....

The Story of the World Middle Ages Activity Guide has a ton of coloring sheets, maps, paper projects, (puppets, a Viking boat, board games), as well as ideas for hands on projects (plays, dress up, foods/dishes, pottery), as well as book suggestions for library books.

It's not really like History Pockets but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for the replies. I had wondered if we should get the activity guide. I'll seriously consider that. I'm glad Dover was mentioned. Even though they don't have craft books, all of my children really enjoy their coloring books. I'll also take a look at that curriculum that was mentioned.

• 4 months later...
Diane, have you used Passport to the Middle Ages? If so, did you schedule it out based on your spine or just go thought one project at a time?

I haven't used it yet, but I will. With their Time Travelers CDs, I actually made them the spine. There are lesson plans, and I thought they were really well done. I just rounded those out a bit, and it worked great!