Menu

Question for photographers

A professional photographer took my kids portrait with one of our goats. I bought $600 worth of pictures from her, they were that nice. I told her that they would like to put the picture on their business card, and she said, "no, no, we never give up digital rights." a few minutes later, when the other customers left her shop, she said she would be happy to give us the rights to any pictures we wanted.

When I was checking out, the salesgirl confirmed that we were being given digital rights. She and her father both saw the business cards and expressed joy that we had used the picture.

The next week, my friend had her daughter's picture done. She asked for a picture of her daughter with a spinning wheel for the back of her business card. They said, " no, no, we never do that." and did not offer them digital rights. I don't think their were any hard feelings, because I went back to get another print that I forgot to order, and was given it for free, and told that my money was no longer good there.

Now, Miss Good is also applying for grant money ( feel free to vote for her company on Facebook as well) and I thought she should include the picture of the kids with their goats. She thinks that is a bad idea, because the people offering the grant money will have the rights to use anything that you include.

Should she not put the picture in at all? Should she ask the photographer for permission?

What do you think?

She should definitely not put any professional photograph in the application without express written permission from the photographer.

Based on the background here, I would not ask for permission from this photographer. They have already "bent the rules" for you once. Asking again would make me feel as if I were taking advantage, but that is just me.

Can you scan dd's business card with a high quality scanner (maybe Office Max) and use a blown up version of the card for the business app?

Edited:Ugh, or just a digital version of the card. :)

Edited by Juniper

They most likely gave you a personal copyright release. If it is to be used for business purposes, you would need to obtain a commercial copyright release from the photographer.

It sounds like they don't normally give out copyright releases (for good reason) but did so with you because they enjoy having you as clients.

Definitely contact the photographer. They may be happy to let you use the photo as long as you give the photographer credit for the photo. HTH!

Thanks. Getting the picture is not an issue, because they actually gave us a CD of our pictures.

I'll just ask her if she wants Miss Good to include it along with her studios name, or if she would prefer for us to leave it off. That way it doesn't sound as much like I'm asking for another favor.

I know she does get some extra publicity from the picture being on the kids' cards because half the people say,"Oh, who took that beautiful picture?" and the other half say, "I bet Heather took that picture"

Thanks for helping me think this through.

I'll write her now.