Menu

need read aloud suggestion for...

hollyh

We are going camping and I thought it would be fun to have a read aloud that we do together that my DH could read to them. My twins are almost 3 so not really used to chapter books, but I think if it had a decent amount of pics they could still enjoy it. They have a decent attention span. Any ideas?

The Jamie and Angus Stories by Anne Fine.

But that still might be too much for 3 yos. My kids are long book champs and they wouldn't have sat through any chapter books at age 3. I'd bring a pile of camping and outdoor related picture books instead.

We are going camping and I thought it would be fun to have a read aloud that we do together that my DH could read to them. My twins are almost 3 so not really used to chapter books, but I think if it had a decent amount of pics they could still enjoy it. They have a decent attention span. Any ideas?

What kind of camping? If you are taking the RV out and have room to pack them I'd stick with picture books. If you are backpacking and can take one book maybe something like this Boxcar Children's book would work.

Hi. My DS is 4 and we’ve been doing some easy chapter books as read-alouds.

Jamie and Angus Stories and Jamie and Angus Together are good first chapter books since its okay if they don’t remember what happens from chapter to chapter. If I remember correctly they have line drawings on every page.

We are currently reading through the original Winnie-the-Pooh and The House At Pooh Corner with great success. The text is a bit harder (run-on sentences and such) but there are line drawings on almost every page (some newer editions have replaced the original drawings with full color), very little need to remember what happened in the previous chapter, and I think the familiar characters help.

Though we haven’t read them yet, I’ve heard that the Tashi books are also good for this. They have two Big Big Big Books of Tashi or a bunch of volumes with only two chapters in each.

Two Times the Fun, Mimmy and Sophie, and Mimmy and Sophie: Around Town are also recommended as preschool short read-aloud chapter books.

2 is really young for chapter books, so if they aren’t quite ready you could try a picture book series (e.g. Arthur, Froggy, Clifford, Curious George, etc.). Many of these also come in treasury type editions so they feel like they’re getting a grown up book with chapters even though its really a picture book.

Thanks for the ideas. They can easily sit through books like Froggy/Curious George, etc. I'm sure retention of details isn't super high, but I really just wanted a longer, fun book for the 5yo that the twins would at least sit through and somewhat enjoy.