Menu

Advice, Save Money & Adopting

Any advice on how to save money while adopting? My sil and bil are looking into adopting. They are looking for ways to save (special needs, local adoptions, biracial, tax credits etc.) Just thought some of the parents on Hive Mind might have some experience.

Any other advice on what to avoid? Lessons learners etc?

I'm hoping I might be able to give enough information so someone will know what I'm talking about.

This lady at gymnastics....her son is from Ethiopia. They paid about half, but the other half was from....like she got pledges for money and in return did some missionary work (local-ish) for an older lady who needed work on her house or something like that. She called it something, but since I would just stick with foster-adopt, I didn't really need to know....so didn't pay close enough attention. Anyway, but they did some work after getting some pledges and was able to use the money to adopt their son from overseas.

Anyway, it doesn't cost barely anything to adopt through foster care. And in fact, depending, you may even get a monthly subsidy, ongoing medical coverage, etc. The state will, after the adoption, even pay our FAMILY health premium.

Adoption can be outrageously expensive. :(

There are lots of different fundraisers a family can do - making a puzzle out of a family picture and then people donated to "buy" a piece of the puzzle, garage sales, many local businesses will give a percentage of an evening's proceeds to an adoptive family, raffles, have an online donation button on a blog.

Talk to their church. Some (not all!) churches will give families money towards an adoption. Some employers also have an adoption grant.

Home equity loan.

I may be reading your message wrong, but it sounds like they may be basing some preferences on reducing the cost of the adoption??? I would encourage them to be sure about what they are open to not based on finances, but on what they can emotionally handle as a family. Also, adopting a special needs child may be more affordable in the adoption process, but there can be great expenses in future medical care, etc. I would never discourage anyone from adopting special needs (we did), but that is a decision that goes way beyond finances. KWIM?

Adoption can be outrageously expensive. :(

There are lots of different fundraisers a family can do - making a puzzle out of a family picture and then people donated to "buy" a piece of the puzzle, garage sales, many local businesses will give a percentage of an evening's proceeds to an adoptive family, raffles, have an online donation button on a blog.

Talk to their church. Some (not all!) churches will give families money towards an adoption. Some employers also have an adoption grant.

Home equity loan.

I may be reading your message wrong, but it sounds like they may be basing some preferences on reducing the cost of the adoption??? I would encourage them to be sure about what they are open to not based on finances, but on what they can emotionally handle as a family. Also, adopting a special needs child may be more affordable in the adoption process, but there can be great expenses in future medical care, etc. I would never discourage anyone from adopting special needs (we did), but that is a decision that goes way beyond finances. KWIM?

:iagree: with all of this. I have a special needs child and while we had an essentially free adoption thru foster care, it was/is emotionally draining at times.

Stephen Curtis Chapman used to have funds available to those who were in need. I haven't checked to see if he still does.

Some of the larger agencies have money available to families in need and also have zero interest rate loans. Be forewarned, the larger agencies also typically cost more.

Don't forget about the tax credit. Is it still available? I'm sorry, I no longer follow this.

Fund raisers.

Some sponsored kids are much cheaper to adopt. You may not be told of all issues. Research, research, research. Oftentimes medical issuex present more than what they are OR are much worse than presented. Research RAD.