Menu

If you are using or have used First Form Latin with the DVDs...

could you give me a peek at your weekly schedule. I saw the sample schedule on the Yahoo group, but I'm looking for more details.

How long is the DVD instruction each week? Does it replace the instruction in the TM or do you still need to do the "Chalk Talk"? What does you week look like?

(I'll be using it with a 4th grader who has completed LC I.)

Ds watches the lesson day 1 and does purposegames.com which helps him learn the vocabulary. He does 1-2 worksheets per day and Friday takes a test. Each day I have him play the purposegames for the current lesson and up to 3 lessons of review. I have never looked at the teacher notes - we bought a DVD teacher, I never felt the need to.

The thing that I should have done as we got into the 5th declension is to have him use the vocabulary cards and match them with the proper declension and gender. That would have helped a bit more.

Beth

We watch the dvd on day 1 and do the worksheet 1. The dvd lesson is approx. 15-20 min. I don't think it replaces the teacher's manual if you want daily drill and repetition. He is a director and cheerleader as well as a teacher. He gives the big picture of how far they come, what is coming next. I really like the dvds.

There are usually 4-5 worksheets per week and a quiz or test on Fridays. So, we do oral drills and other chalktalks with recitations Tues-Thurs with a worksheet each day. I also add in the pronounciation cd and vocab flashcards regularly. It really comes together easily. I love this Latin series...

Edited by LNC

We watch the dvd on day 1 and do the worksheet 1. The dvd lesson is approx. 15-20 min. I don't think it replaces the teacher's manual if you want daily drill and repetition. He is a director and cheerleader as well as a teacher. He gives the big picture of how far they come, what is coming next. I really like the dvds.

There are usually 4-5 worksheets per week and a quiz or test on Fridays. So, we do oral drills and other chalktalks with recitations Tues-Thurs with a worksheet each day. I also add in the pronounciation cd and vocab flashcards regularly. It really comes together easily. I love this Latin series...

Would you share how long it takes you to do a lesson, including the time spent on the dvds? Is there a dvd lesson for each day or just once a week?

Thanks!

Lisa

Would you share how long it takes you to do a lesson, including the time spent on the dvds? Is there a dvd lesson for each day or just once a week?

Thanks!

Lisa

There is one DVD lesson per week - not daily. My ds spends around 1/2 hour on the worksheet and the vocabulary per day. He has done it semi-independently this year and I am trying to learn it with him at the same time. If you do try to learn it also, I suggest buying yourself a workbook.

Beth

Thanks!

Lisa

Dvd once per week. We choose to spend 45 minutes a day on latin - bc we do oral drills, vocab, grammar, and/ or pronounciation cd every day. If you just keep up with basic recitations and 1 worksheet per day you could get it done in 30 min. per day. I think the extra 15 min. per day is necesary to progress to mastery though...

There is one DVD lesson per week - not daily. My ds spends around 1/2 hour on the worksheet and the vocabulary per day. He has done it semi-independently this year and I am trying to learn it with him at the same time. If you do try to learn it also, I suggest buying yourself a workbook.

Beth

Dvd once per week. We choose to spend 45 minutes a day on latin - bc we do oral drills, vocab, grammar, and/ or pronounciation cd every day. If you just keep up with basic recitations and 1 worksheet per day you could get it done in 30 min. per day. I think the extra 15 min. per day is necesary to progress to mastery though...

Thank you both!

Lisa

That's a good suggestion! My ds has mastered it so far, but I can see as the declensions and vocabulary increase, he's going to need to spend more time with it.

Beth