Menu

Why should I use BP instead of just MOH materials?

So I have been going back and forth between MOH and BP and I think that if I use BP that I would also use the MOH spine with it. I love what I see about MOH. My question is, why should I consider using BP with MOH instead of just using all or most of the MOH materials? I love their materials too from what I can see of them, but I love how BP has everything laid out for you already. What is the difference between the two? Are there pros or cons to either?

Thanks!

Hi Jen,

Funny you should ask this question. I spent hours reading MOH I yesterday and researching it on the MOH Yahoo group. Here is the rub: Biblioplan is really designed to be used with SOTW and the plans revolve around that. MOH is scheduled but not used chronologically. I personally did not feel that I'd benefit from the Biblioplan schedule if I really want to use MOH in its entirety. I love MOH's chronology, activities, etc. I wouldn't get those with Bibliplan.

If you visit the MOH Yahoo group there are lots of lovely schedules there. I found several that I like and there are options to coordinate MOH with a variety of supplemental resources such as Victor, SOTW, Veritas Press cards, Sonlight books, Diana Waring audios, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, etc. Really, there is a lot to choose from.

Also, after looking through MOH I find it is NOT difficult to schedule at all. To complete a volume in a school year you study 3 lessons a week. There are wonderful ideas for activities and building a notebook. There are mapping directions. You can either photocopy the map from the text OR buy a cd to print from. I love them and appreciate the opportunity to plan them myself. You will have to go through the material yourself and choose your own read alouds and literature supplements for your kids at their learning levels but that can be such a blessing! In the back of the MOH text there are movies and books listed that tie in with each chapter to help you with this. The Bible reading is also tied in and you could opt to schedule that for an older reader or as a family read aloud. The Files in the Yahoo group can help you as other Moms have schedule readers and read alouds for their families. You might like their ideas or use their template to make your own schedule. This is my plan :D and I got started on it yesterday.

At the beginning of the text there are directions for putting together a history notebook. Throughout the studies it tells you where to file the work that you do. I combed through all of the activities and there is a lot of meat there; no cheesy, pointless crafts. :D

If you visit Bright Ideas Press you can see samples of all of the supplemental materials used with MOH. If you visit the Yahoo Group for MOH I you can search through their Files and see several sample schedules.

I have been considering MOH for quite some time even going so far as purchasing it to preview and spend time with. I love it. The worldview is precisely what I am looking for and the scholarship of the text is excellent. She is writing Volume 4 right now which is going to be extensive. Having 5 years to study all the way through MOH is preferred because of how much material there is. It also leaves enough time to emphasize American History when the time comes.

I'll pray for you about this today and I'd be happy to share my plans as they come together. I'm working on my book list right now for resources to buy, read alouds, and readers. It will take a bit of time and probably get adjusted as the year goes by but I am excited to be back with MOH. This was my original plan and I'm so happy we are moving forward with it.

Thanks K,

I will look at that. I have been constantly going back to MOH through out this past school year and LOVE what I see and read about it. I will look into the schedules. I really just want to purchase the book and see what else I need to go with it for our family. I know the kids would love the audio as well. So it is just piecing it all together now is the big problem. I had a feeling, which I told hubby about a few months back, that I am most likely going to be using MOH. But I always get pulled somewhere else or another great idea gets thrown into the picture. The more I am with MOH, the more I can see us using it and am loving it. Thanks for your input. I love all your research too.

That would be so fun to do it somewhat together. I know we have always wanted that. :001_smile:

Love,

Jen

Hi Jen,

Funny you should ask this question. I spent hours reading MOH I yesterday and researching it on the MOH Yahoo group. Here is the rub: Biblioplan is really designed to be used with SOTW and the plans revolve around that. MOH is scheduled but not used chronologically. I personally did not feel that I'd benefit from the Biblioplan schedule if I really want to use MOH in its entirety. I love MOH's chronology, activities, etc. I wouldn't get those with Bibliplan.

In BP, SOTW isn't used strictly chronologically either.mit is set up more by topic/in units. Less jumpy this way. Some like this, some don't .

The real bonus in using BP is combing different ages. Hey have a reader for each age group and then a read aloud to the family. The book list is fantastic. They also have crafts, coloring pages, maps, and cool histories (I know MOh has some of this as all, you just need to decide which you like better).

I have heard the lit/book selection just in MoH is not as extensive. Also, I have read it is better for olders, so your 6 yo might not get much out of it, even if you didn't use SOTW with her, at least you would have readers for her level scheduled, as well as the BP companion that is great.

Have you looked at Biblioplan's Companion Guide? It's really a misnomer because that makes it sound like it's an 'aside' product. It's really a huge (like 600+ pages huge) spine book. It makes the need for other spines truly optional so if you want to use MOH with it, it would act as a supplement. I know that the big, new companion guide isn't available yet for every level (I have the Modern and I know Middle Ages is in it's final prep) but it's REALLY good.

Heather

In BP, SOTW isn't used strictly chronologically either.mit is set up more by topic/in units. Less jumpy this way. Some like this, some don't .

The real bonus in using BP is combing different ages. Hey have a reader for each age group and then a read aloud to the family. The book list is fantastic. They also have crafts, coloring pages, maps, and cool histories (I know MOh has some of this as all, you just need to decide which you like better).

I have heard the lit/book selection just in MoH is not as extensive. Also, I have read it is better for olders, so your 6 yo might not get much out of it, even if you didn't use SOTW with her, at least you would have readers for her level scheduled, as well as the BP companion that is great.

Sure, this makes sense. I agree that BP makes it easier to combine different ages but it only makes sense if one wants their grammar stage kiddo to do a formal history study :D. My 6yo is going to enjoy Bible stories without any other formal expectations in regard to history.

Is it true that the BP schedule is designed to work with SOTW though? MOH is scheduled where the readings fit but doesn't guide the flow, right? Can you clear that up for me? I pieced my understanding together based upon research at BP's site and the MOH Yahoo group.

Have you looked at Biblioplan's Companion Guide? It's really a misnomer because that makes it sound like it's an 'aside' product. It's really a huge (like 600+ pages huge) spine book. It makes the need for other spines truly optional so if you want to use MOH with it, it would act as a supplement. I know that the big, new companion guide isn't available yet for every level (I have the Modern and I know Middle Ages is in it's final prep) but it's REALLY good.

Heather

Yes, I did. Hmmmmmm. It does look good and quite full of information. I just really really trust Linda Hobar and the extent to which she researches and prepares the texts. I am nervous about using the Companion and relying upon it because I don't know enough about writers and the level of scholarship. I want more than just facts and figures....

Can you elaborate Heather? You have a discerning ear and a love for the truth (I am basing this upon your experience with VP and TOG unless I'm thinking of a different Heather :D). Linda's time spent preparing MOH is extensive and she has taken great pains in her research. The Companions are HUGE and they've come together pretty quickly. Or, is there more to it? I'd love to know. Biblioplan has a lovely schedule and I do hear that their lit list is quite good. The map work is laid out beautifully in BP and the Cool Histories are "cool". I don't really care for the coloring pages or crafts. I am more impressed with MOH in the Project/Craft area. However, the SOTW Activity Guides have amazing coloring sheets and less cheesy crafts.

Sighing with Jennie. Lots to choose from! I will keep listening in as I'm on the cusp of ordering my supplemental materials to use with MOH or BP.

Edited by abrightmom

Katrina,

I should start my comments by saying that MOH is not my favorite spine so we are probably coming at this from different perspectives. I don't hate it or even dislike it but I've never seriously considered it as my main program. Its always felt disjointed and chatty to me. But that's just my own opinion. Also, when I found Biblioplan for next year I was not looking for my youngest, I was looking for my 8th grader (and as it ended up my oldest will be doing it too). But there is a big difference in your choice when your older kids are 17 and 13 than when your oldest is 9. My YOUNGEST just turned 9. Also my youngest doesn't like coloring pages and we don't do complicated crafts because we just don't have the time so that isn't really on my radar.

That said, if I were in your place and really liked MOH, I would use MOH as the program. IMHO MOH is something you can use now, but isn't enough for later. That's just my opinion but I wouldn't use it for older kids and definitely not for high school. Biblioplan can be used that way, especially with the Companion Guide. It has an excellent literature list while still having space to add other lit I consider critical for high schoolers to read. And the Advanced 'Cool History' has good thinking questions and essays. I also like the weekly research question/essay. None of this is useful for elementary kids.

So if you like MOH and want it... then use it. Now would be the time. Your kids are the right age and it sounds like it fits you well.

Heather

Katrina,

I should start my comments by saying that MOH is not my favorite spine so we are probably coming at this from different perspectives. I don't hate it or even dislike it but I've never seriously considered it as my main program. Its always felt disjointed and chatty to me. But that's just my own opinion. Also, when I found Biblioplan for next year I was not looking for my youngest, I was looking for my 8th grader (and as it ended up my oldest will be doing it too). But there is a big difference in your choice when your older kids are 17 and 13 than when your oldest is 9. My YOUNGEST just turned 9. Also my youngest doesn't like coloring pages and we don't do complicated crafts because we just don't have the time so that isn't really on my radar.

That said, if I were in your place and really liked MOH, I would use MOH as the program. IMHO MOH is something you can use now, but isn't enough for later. That's just my opinion but I wouldn't use it for older kids and definitely not for high school. Biblioplan can be used that way, especially with the Companion Guide. It has an excellent literature list while still having space to add other lit I consider critical for high schoolers to read. And the Advanced 'Cool History' has good thinking questions and essays. I also like the weekly research question/essay. None of this is useful for elementary kids.

So if you like MOH and want it... then use it. Now would be the time. Your kids are the right age and it sounds like it fits you well.

Heather

Thanks Heather. That makes sense. I think MOH is just right for middle school and I think that Volume I needs to be tackled sooner rather than later. But, like the OP, I like Biblioplan's 3 day a week schedule, the map work, and the literature schedule. I may just try BP for a year and then I will know the answers to my questions. :001_smile:

I despise crafts, especially cheesy ones. MOH has a lot of great ideas (not crafts) for follow ups. My 9yo doesn't color :D but my youngers do.

Heather

:iagree:

All is really good food for thought. I really like many things about each one. UGH! Why do they need to make things so complicated. I need to sit down and write out the pros and cons to each one and see what I get. :confused:

Don't despair. They are both fantastic options. Presently, I am leaning toward Biblioplan. Did you know you can order a 3-week sample for BP? This has really helped me today. It does show me that the plans are designed to be used with SOTW but in Year One the Bible readings are fully integrated. The introductory material in the 3-week sample said that the Cool History questions are based on SOTW (and maybe the Companion though I can't remember now). In the 3 week sample you can read the introductory material, the book recommendations, and then see a full 3 weeks of the schedule laid out.

We have been using MOH for two years and I have often wavered about adding in BP. I think for elementary and middle school MOH is a great program.

Our whole family love the story approach to the lessons and it is easy to add in additional reading. We have used the lists from MOH and compiled extras from browsing the catalogs of Sonlight and Memoria Press and Veritas.

The crafts are fun yet simple, which for us means they get done:) The mapping is great, too.

We have been using MOH for two years and I have often wavered about adding in BP. I think for elementary and middle school MOH is a great program.

Our whole family love the story approach to the lessons and it is easy to add in additional reading. We have used the lists from MOH and compiled extras from browsing the catalogs of Sonlight and Memoria Press and Veritas.

The crafts are fun yet simple, which for us means they get done:) The mapping is great, too.

:001_smile: Thanks for sharing your experience with MOH. Why have you wavered about adding in BP? "Grass is greener" syndrome or something you would like that BP schedules?

How do you schedule MOH in your family? Do you use a grid and plot out your MOH readings, read alouds, map work, etc. or.....?

:001_smile: Thanks for sharing your experience with MOH. Why have you wavered about adding in BP? "Grass is greener" syndrome or something you would like that BP schedules?

How do you schedule MOH in your family? Do you use a grid and plot out your MOH readings, read alouds, map work, etc. or.....?

Really the reasons I wanted BP were laziness:D. I love to have lots of extra books about every topic we cover and I heard so many great recommendations about BP and the books they choose. But I realized it's easy enough to make a booklist and given the amount of catalogs, blogs and people who share their resource lists on forums, I don't need to pay for a booklist.

They idea of having it scheduled out for me was nice too. But again, I think I was making things too complicated and being lazy. I found that if we did three lessons a week and we did Linda's map suggestions, and a wall timeline, my kids got a great understanding of things. I have added in books from the lists I compiled and like I said, our whole family loves MOH. And the kids have really retained the information well.

Really the reasons I wanted BP were laziness:D. I love to have lots of extra books about every topic we cover and I heard so many great recommendations about BP and the books they choose. But I realized it's easy enough to make a booklist and given the amount of catalogs, blogs and people who share their resource lists on forums, I don't need to pay for a booklist.

They idea of having it scheduled out for me was nice too. But again, I think I was making things too complicated and being lazy. I found that if we did three lessons a week and we did Linda's map suggestions, and a wall timeline, my kids got a great understanding of things. I have added in books from the lists I compiled and like I said, our whole family loves MOH. And the kids have really retained the information well.

Thanks indigomama. :001_smile: "Laziness" and "a love of booklists" resonate with me :D. I am enamored with MOH this week and though I don't know what we are going to do yet I don't think it will be hard to schedule. Truly. And, I really like so many of MOH's activity ideas. :001_smile: