Menu

S/O-Exercise. Losing A lot of Weight(Loose Skin?)

I am at the beginning of trying to lose between 70-90 pounds. There's a lot of good reasons to do it, but am I going to have a ton of loose skin to deal with if/when I lose the weight?

Are there ways to avoid, minimize that? I'd like to feel comfortable in a bathing suit when all is said and done. :blush:

I lost a little over 100 pounds in 15 months and didn't have a ton of loose skin. I was really worried about that too. I walked daily and about half way through losing I started lighting weights. I don't know if what I did was the right way but it just worked for me. I do have loose skin under my arms, but I don't know if there is anything non surgical to help that. Weights didn't do much for me in that area.

I think it depends on the person. I've heard lots of theories but none of them seem to universally hold. I have loose skin from pregnancy #1 at the bottom of my belly , my belly exploded at 33 weeks or so. I've gotten down pretty lean between pregnancies and it is better than it was right afterward but I still have some. My friends sister lost about 100 lbs in the last year and is going next month to have her extra skin removed.

I think it depends on the person. I've heard lots of theories but none of them seem to universally hold. I have loose skin from pregnancy #1 at the bottom of my belly , my belly exploded at 33 weeks or so. I've gotten down pretty lean between pregnancies and it is better than it was right afterward but I still have some. My friends sister lost about 100 lbs in the last year and is going next month to have her extra skin removed.

Yup. It has more to do with your personal skin resilience than how much weight you lose. I don't have super-elastic skin that clings over my muscles. The odds of me having a visible six-pack are slim under ideal circumstances and, after 4 children, including a set of full term, full weight twins incubated on a 5' frame, more unlikely due to the "extra yardage" of skin on my abdomen.

I can say, though, that it's better now (they're 7 1/2) than it was when they were infants. Then, I looked an awful lot like the mod-way pictures between extreme weight loss and plastic surgery: lots of crepey, drapy skin on my arms, legs and trunk. It's doubtful it will ever completely reset to regular skin proportions, though. I honestly can't decide if plastic surgery is in my future or not. That's a whole other mind-war thread, though.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Thanks! I guess loose skin is better than excess fat! Anyway the working out has me feeling amazing. It's nothing major, just Leslie Sansone 1 mile, a knock off of Curves I can do at home, and some very beginning strength training. :001_smile: