Menu

Question about Trigonometry...separate course or integrated w/?

Is trigonometry usually covered in a course like Geometry or Algebra 2? (I think I took Algebra II/Trig. in high school...) If not, is there a separate course you can recommend?

My ds(14) is (so far) interested in city/urban planning or architecture and I know that Trig would be very helpful to get under his belt. He has a year or 2 before he'll be able to take it, but I've got the high school planning bug because I'm scared out of my wits. LOL

Thanks for any info or experience you have to share!!

Back when I went to school the math sequence went like this:

alg 1, geometry, alg 2, pre-calc., calculus. That is a 5 year cycle, but many 8th graders take Algebra 1 and go from there. As I recall Trig. was primarily contained in my pre-calc course.

My own girls arent' there yet but we use Saxon at the upper levels. I believe it is contained in their Advanced Mathematics course. I don't believe I've heard of a year of Trigonometry named as such.

HTH

As I remember the sequence went like this:

Algebra 1 (two semesters)

Geometry (two semesters)

Algebra 2 (two semesters)

Trig / PreCalculus (each for one semester)

Calculus (two or three semesters)

then other more advanced math classes

I don't know of any courses to recommend, sorry.

I'm older than the above but had algebra, geometry, algebra with trigonmetry (=precalc), and then calculus each of which is 1 year long. After Calculus, (I'm an engineer( their was another semester of calculus in college, and then differential equations.

I'm not sure what algebra 2 is these days.I think they split up what is in Dolciani's Modern algebra Structure and method 1. I have Dolciani's Modern algebra books from the 70's and Structure and method 2 is the same as modern precalculus books with the exception that it doesn't have as much graphing (no graphing calcultors then).

Tigonometry is defintely in precalculus, you need geometry before you attempt it. You will get the definitions of sines & cosines in geometery and then use them to solve all sorts of problems in precalculus.

In my high school (and this would be almost 30 years ago) , there were a few math tracks: fast ALgebra 1 in 8th, then Geometry, Alg II/Trig, Pre Calc, Calc regular: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig for half a year then Analytical Math for half a year, then if you went to college you would do calc there.