Menu

Dual Language Homeschooling

Hello,

My children(ages 5 and 4) are fluent in three languages; English, Arabic and my native language. They know the English and Arabic alphabets and don't mix the two up. Please i need advice on the best way to teach them in both languages. Is it best to do different languages on alternate days like Monday:English, Tuesday:Arabic, Wednesday: English? Or perhaps alternate weeks? I'm afraid if we prioritize one language they may lose the other.

Could you mix it up and just do each separately, regardless of the day of the week? For example, make sure you do activities in each language with them every day?

Do you have additional people in their lives that they can speak to and read books with and study with, in ONLY that language? That might help enforce using all their languages.

Also, this is a great resource: http://www.biculturalfamily.org/

A lot of contributors on there homeschool.

My children are older (DD12 and DS9) but this is what we do:

Math: in English

Science: in English with additional readings in French

History and Geography: in French with additional readings in English

Language arts: English and French every day for DS; French and English on alternate days for DD.

I'm a German native speaker, my husband is an American native speaker, but understands German. So each of us speaks his/her native language to the children. They are not allowed to answer back in English (unless a school book we are using is in English and has English questions). Since we are in the U.S. and we have more exposure to English, we also all speak German on the weekends. I do all of my teaching in German, many of our books are in English of course, and when there are questions in them, the children can answer in English. We have several days per week when we concentrate on German topics, grammar, spelling, etc. Here only German responses can be given. In spite of all that, English has become my children's strong language. Unless you have an opportunity to expose your children with the foreign language outside your home a lot, this is bound to happen.

My son is 3 years old and we only speak to him in our native language which is french since we are living in an english part of the country. Even if I don't speak english with him, he is now able to pick up some words from cartoons on TV and from my conversation when I go outside of the house.

So for me, it will be only french at home and when he will have master reading in french then I will teach him some english grammar and other languages if he is interested in it. I have basic knowledge of russian, german and intermediate italian. I want him to learn latin when he will be in 3rd grade or so and I will learn with him.