Menu

Looking for online math tutor

masaki

Ds is working through SM Challenging Word Problems 6 and needs a little help. I am swamped right now and looking for some outside help with this just for the summer. I know I could google, but I'd rather go with someone that others here have tried and liked. Any recommendations? TIA:001_smile:

What about Khan academy? It's free and I believe I read somewhere that they have Singapore math on there....

I think that the Singapore math on Khan Academy only goes to unit 2 of 3A, and it's been stuck there for ages. They seem to have abandoned the topic.

ETA: Confirmed: Singapore math at Khan starts at 3A Unit 1 and goes to 3A Unit 2.

Edited by Lynnita
updated info

Don't know where you live but King County Library in Washington State pays for online tutoring for their patrons. You might try calling your local library even if it is not KCLS and see if they offer something similar.

That's a great idea, I'll check out local libraries to see if they offer math tutoring over the summer. I really want to find someone that understands Singapore, which makes things a little harder. I can do the problems and show ds how to get to the answer, but it's not the SM way and that's what I'm wanting for him to practice. But, who knows, maybe I'll get lucky! Thanks!

I think that the Singapore math on Khan Academy only goes to unit 2 of 3A, and it's been stuck there for ages. They seem to have abandoned the topic.

ETA: Confirmed: Singapore math at Khan starts at 3A Unit 1 and goes to 3A Unit 2.

We usually go running to Khan whenever we hit a snag, but you're right, the SM stuff stops at 3A. Bummer.

Like you, I can answer many math questions but have never seen a Singapore math book. In fact at physicsforums.com a whole community of people answer questions on math, and also at stackexchange.com

I also like khan academy.

By the way, what is the SM way?

We love, love, love John Bovey from Live Online Math. He offers video classes, live classes, and live tutoring. His teaching skills are topped only by his effective use of technology - breaks the kids out into small groups for discussion, has them use all sorts of cool tools, etc. Of course, this is based on our experience in one of his classes, but he has also helped my daughter one-on-one and it has been very effective.

Prior to going with him, we tried a sample session with Cybershala, but had great difficulty with the sound quality. It seemed to pulse in and out and made understanding the tutor especially difficult. I wanted it to work b/c they use Singapore as their primary curriculum, but the communication barrier was just too great for us.

Hope that helps.

By the way, what is the SM way?

Here's a link to a number of teacher education books at the Singapore site. The model approach may give some good information and ideas.

Basically, using bar models lets students solve word problems that they'd need algebra for. I think starting in level 4, I've seen some problems that I'd solve using a system of equations that my son will solve using bar models. It really gives a neat set up to move to algebra. But it was a strange transition for me.