Menu

The 4th year in the cycle. What did you do with your littles?

We're starting year 4 and I know that SOTW4 will be a fine springboard into history study for dd6th and ds8th, but I don't think that SOTW4 will be a great choice for dd3rd and the youngers, ds2nd, dsKer.

Does anyone have a great reading list for younger elementary children for this modern time period?

How did you do it with your kiddos?

I'm open to suggestions for how to study this time period with my youngest dc. We're generally on the WTM track using copywork/dictation/narration/coloring pages/reading lists and read alouds.

Thank you for you advice and links.

Andrea

Edited by Andrea Lowry
misspelling

Well, I will say it is probably fine for your 2nd grader. My 4th and 2nd grader did SOTW4 this year together just fine. There is a lot of American history. Focus on that with the young one. There are inventors to study. My 7 yr old read about Henry Ford and the Wright Brothers, for example. We memorized the presidents in order and read lots about them. During the Great Depression you can read the Kit American Girl books with them. We read Number the Stars when we got to WWII. It was a very uplifting story that introduces the subjects of Nazis in a very age appropriate way.

Before that there were the pioneers, Little House books, and all of the fun stuff to study about that. As usual with SOTW there are lots of interesting stories about the other countries that held her attention. She did the mapwork and kept up narrations, while my 4th grader did a timeline and the outlines in SOTW4 A.G. and mapwork. Some chapters (very few) I didn't have dd7 do anything with. But even so, there was plenty of history for her, and we haven't even finished yet. We still have Martin Luther King and more modern history to get to.

For your Ker, just read some of the same picture books about the presidents and inventors and pioneers to him that you do the 7 yr old. Skip the rest. Then you start the cycle over again next year just in time for 1st grade.

ETA... coloring sheets. I didn't buy the coloring sheets, thought they are available. I sometimes googled for one, sometimes was able to find and copy from coloring books we had, and more often, I got my 2nd grader drawing her own pictures for her narrations.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
eta, meant to say inventors :)

Well, I will say it is probably fine for your 2nd grader. My 4th and 2nd grader did SOTW4 this year together just fine. There is a lot of American history. Focus on that with the young one. There are explorers to study. My 7 yr old read about Henry Ford and the Wright Brothers, for example. We memorized the presidents in order and read lots about them. During the Great Depression you can read the Kit American Girl books with them. We read Number the Stars when we got to WWII. It was a very uplifting story that introduces the subjects of Nazis in a very age appropriate way.

Before that there were the pioneers, Little House books, and all of the fun stuff to study about that. As usual with SOTW there are lots of interesting stories about the other countries that held her attention. She did the mapwork and kept up narrations, while my 4th grader did a timeline and the outlines in SOTW4 A.G. and mapwork. Some chapters (very few) I didn't have dd7 do anything with. But even so, there was plenty of history for her, and we haven't even finished yet. We still have Martin Luther King and more modern history to get to.

For your Ker, just read some of the same picture books about the presidents and inventors and pioneers to him that you do the 7 yr old. Skip the rest. Then you start the cycle over again next year just in time for 1st grade.

ETA... coloring sheets. I didn't buy the coloring sheets, thought they are available. I sometimes googled for one, sometimes was able to find and copy from coloring books we had, and more often, I got my 2nd grader drawing her own pictures for her narrations.

Thank you--this sounds good to me.

Does anyone have an opinion to share about the SOTW volume 4 coloring pages?