Menu

Veritas Omnibus II, scheduling?

I posted this on the high school board, but realized people on this board may have experience with Omnibus. I'm considering using Omnibus II for my upcoming 9th grader's study of the Middle Ages and R&R. I can't tell from the website, however, how it's scheduled. The sample chapter is pretty lengthy, with lots of questions, reading assignments and discussion items, and I'm wondering how long a student is given to complete this work. If anyone's used Omnibus and can speak to this, I'd appreciate the input - and I'd love to hear what you think of the course altogether.

Thanks so much.

I posted this on the high school board, but realized people on this board may have experience with Omnibus. I'm considering using Omnibus II for my upcoming 9th grader's study of the Middle Ages and R&R. I can't tell from the website, however, how it's scheduled. The sample chapter is pretty lengthy, with lots of questions, reading assignments and discussion items, and I'm wondering how long a student is given to complete this work. If anyone's used Omnibus and can speak to this, I'd appreciate the input - and I'd love to hear what you think of the course altogether.

Thanks so much.

We really liked it. We didn't do all the secondary reading.

Basically, it's a do-the-next-thing kind of curriculum. The books are scheduled at different rates, all done for you on the CD. You read the essay first, then do readings in the Great Book; each day, there's an assignment in the text. You do one assignment a day per Great Book, so if you are reading two at a time (primary and secondary) you may have more work. You can take longer if you need to--I don't remember how long you have for some of the longer assignments (the writing, for example--we didn't do the progym writing).

I thought it was a difficult course but not overwhelming. The reading was more than I would have done on our own. We used it with ds who was in the 10th grade at the time; the questions are logic stage, but that worked for us at the time. I truly think ds' reading list got him into college; they were impressed in the interview. I do hope he goes back some day and rereads some of the works and analyses them more deeply, but it was good for us.

I did hear there's a CD that helps, thank you.

Chris, thanks for sharing your experience. Some of the essays in the sample are really long - are those all to be read in one day, and then the books on top of that? I'm just trying to get a feel for the workload. We have a fairly CM-style homeschool, heavy on reading and I'm not worried about lots of books but want to keep the schedule reasonable, challenging and yet still enjoyable. Why did you choose not to use the writing assignments? My guy is hoping to have something with writing scheduled in (he loves writing), I'd be interested in what you thought of what they assigned.