Menu

Creative Father's Day gifts that you have done in the past...

One year I took a frame and mat that I bought at Michael's and altered it.

I decorated the mat with cut out pics from magazines that depicted his interests. (Reeses pb cup ad, Superman, etc.) Inside the photo part I created a collage of pics. (I didn't put a ton of stuff on the mat, so it wasn't as cluttered as it probably sounds.)

He loved it.

Another year I took one of those crayon tins from Cracker Barrel and altered it so that it was a place to store pics of the kids. I decorated cardstock to match the tin and glued the pics to the cardstock. (it kinda looked like a very flat deck of cards.)

Thanks for that idea. You also reminded me of something when you mentioned the crayola box. I know at one point in time you could print out photos into coloring pages on the Crayola website and color them. I might do that. That would be sweet and also completely Mommy free, except for the printing and I can sit while I do that. :)

Any other ideas?

One year, we painted a good sized rock we found in the yard (we live near a creek) and wrote "Dad Rocks" in pipe cleaners (superglued on the front). He has it in his office.

When the kids were babies, I took "parts" pictures of their little hands, feet, noses, etc and put them together in seperate multi picture frames. I did a good picture of the child in the center and then the "parts" out around it. They turned out well and we still have them in our bedroom.

One year we took photos of the kids holding the letters "D" "A" "D" - he liked it pretty well.

We now do an Annual Ice Cream Taste Testing Contest, with a goofy prize, and ham it up - it's fun, and the work I do for it *IS* the gift (a "memory gift" vs. a "tangible gift"). I'm not sure how much bed rest you're on, but all I do is

1. number the Dixie cups (#1-5 for however many people are coming)

2. glue / tape candies into the shape of an ice cream cone on a foam poster board

3. pre-dish the ice cream the day before (can be done sitting, especially with kid helpers)

4. ham it up and act all excited :D

It's a big hit with multiple generations, every year. And cheap, and clutter-free.

My dh is a "words of affirmation" guy, so I try to find some Father's Day contests to enter via the internet which you could do from bed rest likely), usually requiring a short essay describing your hubby. You can use quotes from kids of any ages in it. Then regardless of winning or not, you can print out the entry and have the kids mount it to a pretty "frame" (aka construction paper "matting" with stickers, glitter, stamps, etc.)